Issue #1448 - March 26, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Friday, March 26 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1448

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Aussie Tour dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ben Folds in Herald Sun
    On the cover
    Ben Folds And His Balls Of Brass
    all sorts of stuff
    hordern pavilion
    New "Army" singles and the Japanese release of TUBORM
    TUBORM transcriptions
    A 2 disc and a multi-media version of TUBORM
    you don't have enough scoundrels in your life.

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:45:04 +1100
From: Julie <julianne@ronscomputers.com.au>
Subject: Aussie Tour dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OHMYGOD I'm screaming

       08/17/99 Brisbane Festival Hall
       08/19/99 Sydney Hordern Pavilion
       08/20/99 Newcastle Worker's Club
       08/21/99 Canberra Royal Theatre
       08/23/99 Melbourne Palais Theatre
       08/24/99 Melbourne Palais Theatre
       08/26/99 Adelaide Thebarton Theatre
       08/28/99 Perth Burswood Theatre

:D

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:02:36 +1100
From: Julie <julianne@ronscomputers.com.au>
Subject: Ben Folds in Herald Sun

In todays Melbourne Herald Sun, in HIT, there is an article on Frally and Ben.
I haven't got it here, but it says that she is due to have her twins in July.

Sorry to post twice

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

Julie's Australian Ben Folds Five webpage
 http://www.angelfire.com/me/katefolds/

who needs today? wishing it away
you made a mess of me
- - Superdrag

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:00:58 -0500
From: "Leigh 13" <leigh13@mindless.com>
Subject: On the cover

There's been some discussion about who that is on the official web site and
on the cover to the new album.  I'm talking about the guy in the alternating
white and red suit.

>From what I have heard, the man pictured is Darren's grandfather.  Look at
him, you can really see the resemblence.  And from what I can tell, he's
also the subject of 'Magic.'  Don't quote me on that though...it's just my
impression.

Get your TUBORM lyrics at http://members.tripod.com/ex13.

- - Leigh 13

You've been warned.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 02:01:09 -0500
From: "R.C." <rchallen@clemson.campuscwix.net>
Subject: Ben Folds And His Balls Of Brass

Hey All,
  Yep, I've got an advance copy of "Unauthorized..." too. No, I won't go
song-by-song or spoil any surprises. Just some random thoughts to wet
the collective appetite:
1) If you've heard "Army," that kinda kicks the way older stuff
("Jackson Cannery," "Julianne," "OAD," etc.) did. "Your Redneck Past"
does as well. And that's IT. And neither song appears until well past
the halfway point. All I can say is... you start your album with five
ballads, you have big ol' brass ones.
2) IT WORKS. "Narcolepsy" is like a big sweeping epic instrumental...
and THEN the vocals appear. "Don't Change Your Plans" is wonderfully
melancholy in classic BF5 style. "Mess" is my current fave and could be
another "Brick"-like hit. (Each Track 3... coincidence?)
And "Magic" is much better in its current incarnation than the solo
version on the "Garden Place" compilation... no offense, Darren. :-)
3) The last record I heard that stacked all its slow songs at the top
AND pulled it off was "Bus Stop," the final release from -- you guessed
it -- Chuck Folds' band. I guess it runs in the family...?
4) Lotsa Bacharach influence. Must be the horns (Zippers, I think?) but
also the Tin Pan Alley chord changes and a favoring of "odd" beats
(waltzes, rhumbas) over straight 4/4 rock.
5) VERY SHORT. Under 40 minutes, I believe. Again, that classic pop
influence.
6) "Army" was a good choice for first single. The rest will be a much
harder sell to radio, which seems to favor disposable plastic and
novelty acts over well-written, multi-faceted songs. Their loss... I
hope it doesn't hurt the band's ascension too much. Frankly, I don't
think they care...
7) All in all, a weird, wonderful record. Can't wait to hear the
B-sides.

see ya,
rICH

p.s. if anyone finds the "army" radio single, check the back for the "we
got the fuck out" edit. well put.

Listen to Rich: Visit THE RICH HOMEPAGE to hear tracks
from LIFE/DEATH... 15 songs of romance and retribution
for those who know all too well...
Available independently from Desperate Man Records.
         http://listen.to/rich.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:00:26 PST
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: all sorts of stuff

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! i'm so excited! bff are playing their brisbane
show at festival hall! i was absolutely petrified that they'd play the
arena like practically every other band i like, thus barring me from
entry since it's an over 18 venue and i'm an under 18 person. but thank
god it's at good old festival hall where i can get in!!! sorry bout that
but i'm really overexcited by that news, even though the concert's not
till august 17th.
please go and vote for army in the net 50, the address is
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/net50/vote.htm
oh yeah, and i have a question, not quite bff related, but...
there was a guy who e-mailed me about the buddy list, who did not wish
his name to be disclosed. unfortunately i stupidly went and deleted his
e-mail message, so now i've lost his e-mail address. he gave me his
screen name and asked for mine. so if you're reading this, my screen
name is DrPyser265 (since i have no problem with weirdos pestering me,
i'll just tell everyone) and if you're the one i'm talking about, then
e-mail me please, just so i can get your e-mail address.

Crystal

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 03:31:18 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: hordern pavilion

is sydney's hordern pavilion an
all ages place? please say yes,
please say yes!!!
janet

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:36:12 -0500
From: "Jared Pinkos" <jaredmarcae@sprynet.com>
Subject: New "Army" singles and the Japanese release of TUBORM

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I did have it up on my page at =
least. =20
        The Australian single for Army is scheduled for release on April =
5 and is available from World Party Music, Siren Disc, and other Inet =
sources.  Birds (an instrumental track), Leather Jacket, and Air are the =
B-sides. =20
        A 2CD set is scheduled for release in the UK on April 12 and is =
also available at various Inet sources including Siren Disc.  The =
B-sides are Birds, Leather Jacket, Air, and Theme From 'Dr.Pyser'. =20
        The new album is going to be released in Japan a whole month =
earlier than the US date.  The extra track is Birds, and it is available =
at World Party Music. =20
        And finally, a live version of Brick is available on Live From =
The World Cafe, Volume 7.  I don't know where to get this, so if you =
find out, please let me know.  Check out my page, =
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/benfoldsfive/index.html for more info.  =
Later-Jared

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:46:48 EST
From: Qualitease@aol.com
Subject: TUBORM transcriptions

My roomate and I have transcribed about half of TUBORM.   We want to share our
newly found wealth with everyone.  So...I am looking for someone who can post
the transriptions on the web.  I would like the transcriptions to posted with
earlier BFF songs. (I don't know if there is a BFF tab page, but that would be
preferable)  anyway, just e-mail me.   Thanks,
     ~Alan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:28:34 -0500
From: "Jared Pinkos" <jaredmarcae@sprynet.com>
Subject: A 2 disc and a multi-media version of TUBORM

This just in:  According to Siren Disc, there will be a 2 disc version =
of the new album released in Australia that will contain 7 bonus tracks =
on the second disc.  Also, World Party Music is reporting that a =
multimedia version of the new album will also be released.  Once again, =
you can check out my page =
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/benfoldsfive/index.html for more =
information.  Later-Jared=20

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:11:12 EST
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: you don't have enough scoundrels in your life.

hello folks. had two things to make an input out of:

juan: i haven't been reading the 'chair in a while, but i do know there are
people out there i've cooresponded with in some kind of near and far past. are
any of these people (if you're reading this and saying "who the hell is THIS
kid?" then this doesn't apply to you) going to the amherst show? if you are,
why don't you just drop me a line? 'tis would be swimming. :)

duex: funny thing.. i was at the atlanta show on the last tour (drove 15 hours
to see 'em! yikes.), and my friends and i ended up meeting and taking a
picture with snuzz, chuck, ben, a random girl, and eddie walker. quite a
quintisential moment of fanship. heh. but anyway, turns out the random girl is
ben's girlfriend. funny, eh?

 take care, yous.
                     -jason.
    <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/knulprek/home.html">The Happy Scrappy Page