Issue #1450 - March 29, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Monday, March 29 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1450

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Hey All!
    95.5 WBRU
    Brisbane (Australia :) ) TUBORM release dates..
    new album
    tuborm advances at cd now
    Some new pics on my site
    aust TUBORM release dates
    chick fil a
    Re: Melbourne Concert
    Ben Folds Five Official Video News
    Ben Folds Five font

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:32:32 PST
From: "jason beard" <jasonrbeard@hotmail.com>
Subject: Hey All!

Ok

 A friend of mine that I use to work with heard the New Radicals on the
radio,and thought it was BFF. She said, "Hey I heard that new song by
BFF called You Get What You Give". I told her NO! That's not BFF. Thats
the New Radicals. Feeling really stupid she laughed, and said "I thought
it was them." It sounded like them. So now when I hear that song I think
of Ben Folds Five and Linda. By the way,
How are you doing David Holloway. I'm sure you remember me.

Love to all!

Jason

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:28:27 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: 95.5 WBRU

Anyone who lives in Rhode Island and listens to 95.5 WBRU will know what I'm
talking about.... anyway, Army was the screamer of the week this week on BRU,
and was also number 4 on this week's 12 cuts above the rest (for those of you
who don't know, this is voted by listeners). And this is the same station that
was voted one of the ten stations in the country that don't suck by Rolling
Stone.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:13:30 +1100
From: "Daniel Hirning" <dhirning@iname.com>
Subject: Brisbane (Australia :) ) TUBORM release dates..

>okies for the other Brisbanites I was in HMV & Rockinghorse & Skinny's
>in the city and asled for their release dates for TUBORM. Interesting
>results: HMV and Skinny's both said April 19 whilst Rockinghorse said
>the 26th of April.
>Anyone know if these are correct?

Based on what HMV told me about the release dates for FOP (telling me it
wasn't out till 1999) i wouldn't take much notice of what they say...

- -Daniel

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:02:29 -0500
From: Lauren <choplin@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: new album

Hey,

I was wondering - is there anyone else out there who just wants to be
surprised completely with the new album?  Sure, if someone handed me an
advance copy of the album, I'd gladly listen to it, but I'm more than
happy to take everything in one shot when it's officially released.
I've heard Army, and I think it's great, but I was just wondering if
there's anyone else who prefers to get the whole package at once,
without seeking out every song individually beforehand.

Also, on Sifl & Olly (which I think a lot of you are fans of too,
right?), Ben Folds Five was the first band to be mentioned when they
were talking about all the bands with "5" in their name.  Before Jackson
Five, they were named.  :)

Lauren
http://fly.to/exit-magazine

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:39:02 PST
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: tuborm advances at cd now

here's some news for ya'll...
at www.cdnow.com, they've got tuborm in the advance orders section, and
it's available on cd, tape, vinyl, and minidisc.
they've also got it with a video??? i don't know, maybe that's the
australian release or something, isn't that supposed to come with an
extra disc, or something, maybe it's a video. hmmm...
they've also got fop on vinyl, tape and cd.

and btw, army was number three on the triple j net50 last night (i was
praying for it to get no. 1, but it didn't quite make it, and i don't
know what did cause i turned the radio off after army).
if you ask me, that song is absolutely foolproof on jjj - you knew it
was gonna be a hit. it's got at least three things going for it: one,
it's ben folds five. jjj are very much into them, and any new song they
released would get flogged to death, even if it was bad. jjj even played
fear of pop a fair bit. second, ben says 'mullet', and there is no
better way to guarantee yourself jjj airplay then to make fun of the
mullet haircut. (something like the theory that silverchair's 'anthem
for the year 2000' gets lots of airplay cause they mention youth,
fascism and the year 2000 all in one song and there's no better way to
pull in the angst-ridden teenage masses.) and third, the song's just
good.
only 8 days till the release of the army single... and only 3 days of
school for me till easter break, since wednesday's our last day :)

Crystal

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"D, world destruction
 Over and overture
 N, do I need
 Apostrophe T, need this torture?"
- --> "Don't Let's Start", They Might Be Giants

Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page
http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:35:42 -0800
From: Oakes <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: Some new pics on my site

I've put up 3 more scans on my site if anyone wants to see, they're all from
Australian publications so many of you might not have seen them: the newspaper
photo of Ben and Frally, the full-page ad for FoP from Aussie JUICE, and part of a
quiz from Recovery magazine entitled 'Are You A Musical Genius?' (one of the
possible answers is Ben Folds Five). Keep voting for ARMY in the Net50!
                                                                -Clare

- --
 **********************Have a go at the trivia quiz!********************
The In-Betweens...                         ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co:

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:09:28 PST
From: "kirstine florussen" <partikleman@hotmail.com>
Subject: aust TUBORM release dates

<okies for the other Brisbanites I was in HMV & Rockinghorse & Skinny's
in the city and asled for their release dates for TUBORM. Interesting
results: HMV and Skinny's both said April 19 whilst Rockinghorse said
the 26th of April.Anyone know if these are correct?>

well, i can't really vouch for the authenticity of my source but i was
in sanity the other day (i know, i know, but they were the only music
store in the centre where i was working) and upon asking about release
dates, they told me the 17th of April.  But as i said don't quote me...

whatever it ends up being, there's plenty of time til the 17th of
August!!  Can't wait!!

kirstine

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:40:17 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: chick fil a

hello! i was just at the chick-fil-a
website (yea, i know that's sad), but
i found this info...

It all started in 1946, the year after the end of
World War II. Truett Cathy sold his car, combined
savings with his younger brother, Ben, and
borrowed from the bank to acquire the $10,600 to
open the tiny, 24-hour restaurant called the Dwarf
Grill (later renamed the Dwarf House) in the Atlanta
suburb of Hapeville. As the name implies, the
restaurant was small -- with just ten counter stools
and four tables. It was there, in the late ^Ñ50^Òs that
Cathy began experimenting with different
seasonings and a faster way to prepare great tasting
chicken. By the early ^Ñ60^Òs, he developed the
winning taste combination that would lead to
Chick-fil-A®^Òs success.

notice the guy's brother's name is BEN, and
the place was called the DWARF grill! i thought
that was cool.
janet

"got a job at chick-fil-a" -ben folds
go here!->  http://www.chick-fil-a.com

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:43:20 +1000
From: nina <doves@eisa.net.au>
Subject: Re: Melbourne Concert

OH! MY GOD!!! youve all got me screaming now!!!! i was hoping benfolds
would tour with the new album and all! OH WOW!
and heres a lil note to Nat...me and a friend are huge benfolds fans and
went to thier concert last year, and met up with some friends, so if
your interested in meeting up with us, that'd be cool!!! :))
plus, do any of you guys know when the melbourne tickets go on sale???
~Evie~

*all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade, away, again*

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:47:39 EST
From: JKFett@aol.com
Subject: Ben Folds Five Official Video News

The auction for a new BFF TUBORM poster at ebay has a very interesting little
addition to it. On the right hand pic at
http://cgi.ebay.com/awcgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=83719586, look at the
bottom. "Limited Edition Video Also Available," it says. This could be that
video they were collecting all that footage for! STAY TUNED!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:49:33 EST
From: JKFett@aol.com
Subject: Ben Folds Five font

Anyone else upset that BFF have apparently abandoned their trademark logo for
the new album? Everything from the new site to the posters for TUBORM just
have a plain ol' "BEN FOLDS FIVE" written...what's up with that?
Dan
P.S. Just FYI!!! Know those riots all over the news at Michigan State
University? I was covering the whole damn thing! Hehehe, now I have a war
story to tell my grandkids. Go State!