Issue #1451 - March 30, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, March 30 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1451

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Re: Ben Folds Five font
    Re: new album
    CD & VIDEO
    ben folds five past opener...
    TUBORM release dates
    Redneck Past
    Fanatic and HRL reruns

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:22:47 -0800
From: Brian Chan <gokou@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Ben Folds Five font

At 02:01 AM 3/29/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:49:33 EST
>From: JKFett@aol.com
>Subject: Ben Folds Five font
>
>Anyone else upset that BFF have apparently abandoned their trademark logo for
>the new album? Everything from the new site to the posters for TUBORM just
>have a plain ol' "BEN FOLDS FIVE" written...what's up with that?
>Dan

Agreed.  I don't like the cover for TUBORM too much at all, assuming of
course that those pictures on the website are the official CD art.  Oh well.

Brian Chan.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:11:37 -0600
From: "McCunney" <smccunne@midwest.net>
Subject: Re: new album

Hello all.  I havent' made a post here in a long, long time.  I was just
wondering what the title of the new album is going to be.  I've seen the
abbreviation for it but I dont know what it stands for

Brian

"Just this side of love is where you'll find the confidence not to continue"
Built to Spill

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:30:09 -0500
From: "R.C." <rchallen@clemson.campuscwix.net>
Subject: CD & VIDEO

Hey Armchair,
  FYI, the "CD & video" package people keep asking about is being
released as a limited edition in the U.S. (and possibly other countries)
when "Unauthorized..." hits shelves Apr. 27. I don't have the
tracklisting of the video on me right now, but it's mostly live footage
from the last tour... featuring the usual suspects like "Jackson
Cannery," OAD, "Stevens," and others... plus "fly-on-the-wall" segments
from the recording of "Army" and "Don't Change Your Plans."
  In their press, Sony is swearing it's a gift for the fans and "not
just another crass way to make money." Hee hee... we'll see... sounds
like a good deal anyway. Whole package will probably sell for around
$20, versus $14 for the CD alone.

your host with the most,
rICH

Listen to Rich: Visit THE RICH HOMEPAGE to hear tracks
from LIFE/DEATH... 15 songs of romance and retribution
for those who know all too well...
Available independently from Desperate Man Records.
         http://listen.to/rich.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:16:12 GMT
From: Nhu_Nguyen@post.wesleyan-college.edu (Nhu Nguyen)
Subject: ben folds five past opener...

did anyone go to a ben folds five show with old pike as the opener?  just
wondering how O.P. were in concert/CD...
thanks
- -debbie

"and all it takes is all i can give
 all my waking hours just to see you live
 through this sleepless night"
	-jump, little children "violent dreams"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:28:28 +0100
From: "Will Brady" <will@bradymail.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: TUBORM release dates

Hey everyone, just a couple of points:

>From MA #1446:

>This is a question to the people who have advance copies of the new
album.

>Any reference to pot in it ?

>Their has been pot references in every other album and the demos so I
>was just wondering if they were carrying on the tradition.

Yes - there's a reference to the evil weed in the first single 'Army', in
fact. The second line goes:
Dad said 'Son you're fucking high'
Which can really only mean one thing...

Secondly - if you speak nicely to the manager of a small independent record
store, they'll probably let you have TUBORM as soon as they get in - most
likely the Friday prior to its release.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:10:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Joe Kreidel <z_kreidelrj@TITAN.SFASU.EDU>
Subject: Redneck Past

Driving through Austin last night, I happened to be listening to The NExt
Big Thing radio show on 101.5, and they said, we'll be back with the new
Ben Folds Five. woo-hoo! The big surprise to me was they didn't play Army,
they played Redneck Past. It was a pretty cool song, not exactly
hilarious like some had said earlier, but I couldn't pay too much
attention to the lyrics, I was playing dodge the psycho truckers on Hwy.
21. It was a little Fear of Pop-ish with synth bleeps and squeaks. What
really struck me was there was no prominent piano in the song. I could
make out maybe a little in the background, but it definitely wasn't the
lead instrument of the song, like classic BFF. It just made me want to
hear the rest of the CD all the more...

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:21:55 EST
From: JKFett@aol.com
Subject: Fanatic and HRL reruns

Just a little note that BFF will perform "Brick" from their Hard Rock Live
performance Sat at 12:00 am EST on VH1 and their Fanatic episode will be rerun
Sunday at 12pm EST on MTV.
Dan
www.msu.edu/~austind1