Issue #1457 - April 4, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, April 4 1999     Volume 01 : Number 1457

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Army on radio in Seattle
    Truth & Rumors on ebay
    the unknown mountaineer?
    army!
    My site is up!
    Amherst Show

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 17:45:33 -0800
From: Susan Park <maven@jetcity.com>
Subject: Army on radio in Seattle

This week, I heard Army on the radio in Seattle on 107.7 FM, The End.

Best thing since sliced bread!!

- -- The Jet City Maven - A North Seattle Community Newspaper
Check our website for deadlines!
http://www.jetcity.com/~maven

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 10:32:20 +0000
From: Mark & Mikell Brown <brownmm@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Truth & Rumors on ebay

Out of curiosity I went to ebay to see what kind of BFF merchandise is
selling and I AM PISSED. I know that this is well-worn ground on the
Armchair, but I'd like to put in my 2 cents. Most of what's for sale is
promotional material that the sellers received FOR FREE. My husband,
Mark,
manages a record store and we get all kinds of stuff from  labels. He's
very good about snagging BFF material because I'm such a huge fan. [BTW,

you guys should know that the band has some big fans among the A&R folks

at Sony, including people who have been fans since the band was on
Caroline.]

So here's the deal. We have "Truth & Rumors," the interview disc put out

by Sony FOR FREE as promotional material. In a previous post I suggested

that you make friends with record store and radio people to get one.
Someone has it on ebay for $28. THAT SUCKS. Other copies are going for
less, so you might want to consider one of those if you want the disc
with the artwork. (The guys are dressed in suits. Mark says that
Robert looks like someone made him dress up for a wedding.)  I am
willing to TRADE a TAPED copy of T&R (I'm keepin' the disc, baby!) for a

tape of something else. I'm really interested in Toxic Popsicle stuff,
if anyone has it, or any cool boot. Also, I'm hoping that one of you BFF

website guys will transcribe the interview so that all fans can partake.

It's pretty funny and insightful.
INTERVIEWER: Darren, how do you get in the mind to write songs?
DARREN: Um, I get really high.

Also, note that the man on the cover of the ARMY single (the
TUBORM guy) is standing in front of a McCrory's, a (southern?) 5 & dime
retail chain like Woolworths. We used to have one in Richmond. Before it

finally closed it was looking like Beirut. And did you guys know that
Chick-Fil-A (mentioned in ARMY) is run by a pretty serious group of
Christians?  They close on Sundays, and the one in the mall where my
husband put in several years of hard labor with Sam Greedy used to
require that its employees memorize Bible verses as part of their
training. Pretty hurt, huh?
BTW, their chicken sandwiches are awesome!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:06:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: the unknown mountaineer?

> ALSO - if you can find one, there is an awesome interview disc, "Truth &
> Rumors with Ben Folds Five," which was recorded in February at Sony
> Music Studios in NY. The 36 minute cd includes several complete music
> tracks from TUBORM interspersed with a question & answer session with
> the guys. One major point of illumination - the band was unaware of the
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> existence of the REAL mountaineer Reinhold Messner until this interview.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> They had no idea that he really existed. Go buddy-up to record store &
> radio folks who might be able to snag a copy from Sony. It's well worth
> it.
>
> mikell b

i'm sorry, i just don't buy this at all. how on earth did they come up
with the name of the album without knowing the guy really existed? not to
be rude, but i can't begin to believe they just MADE THE NAME UP. ;)
that's like saying they would name a cd "whitney houston, LIVE!" and
would be surprised by the existence of a real whitney houston.

judi smith                                        they can't hurt you
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                            unless you let them
                                                  i will say it again
would you catch me if i was falling?            they cannot hurt you
  kiss me if i was leaving?                       unless you let them
     hold me cause i'm lonely without you?              -- everclear
                       -- round here

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:34:08 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: army!

woo hoo! i bought army today! it
wasn't sposed to come out until
monday, but alas, here it is!!
bird and leather jacket are
short and sweet, both very
pretty tracks. and the 4th
track is air. someone said
that they had heard s'thing
about the guy on the front
actually being darren's grandad.
i'd believe that. i can see
darren's face in this guy's.
hmm, interesting.
janet :-Þ

Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:06:55 +0100
From: "Will Brady" <will@benfoldsfive.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: My site is up!

Now brace yourselves...brace your fat asses...

My site, which has kept me so busy for the past 2 weeks I've been almost
entirely excluded from society, is finished and online. Check it out:

http://www.benfoldsfive.freeserve.co.uk

It's called The Man From Uncool, and it is (I hope) a fairly comprehensive
guide to all things Foldsian. So, uh...spread the word, folks.

See ya'll

Will.

Ben Folds Five: The Man From Uncool
http://www.benfoldsfive.freeserve.co.uk

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 13:49:52 -0500
From: "Robbie C." <echap@netcom.ca>
Subject: Amherst Show

Please, I need help...
    A couple of brief questions regarding the show April 17th, 1999 at Amherst College. Number one, could anyone supply me with transportaion suggestions to getting to Amherst from Boston. It needs to be through a form of transportation other
than by car (ie, commuter rails, greyhound bus). Second question, are tickets still available for the general public, and/or does anyone have two extra seats to throw around to a foreigner such as myself? Please respond directly to me at
echap@netcom.ca. Thanks,
Robbie C.