Issue #1463 - April 10, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Saturday, April 10 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1463

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    The New Album
    sean again
    songs that run together and t-shirts
    T Shirt.... again!
    Please
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1461
    The Dr. Is In
    Videos on Stun....TFI Friday
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1462
    secret press shows

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:53:50 PDT
From: "Beatle 19" <emaline_@hotmail.com>
Subject: The New Album

Where in the world are you all getting to listen to the new album?  I
thought it wasn't going to out until the 27th?  How do you get to hear
it already?  Are you in some special club or something?  I mean I
understand if you are djs but gosh!  There are so many of you who have
already heard it!  Oh!  And is anyone excited about the new
craberries cd!? I can't wait for that either!

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 00:46:23 PDT
From: "garrett john weindorf" <garrett78@hotmail.com>
Subject: sean again

sean:

 I'm with you dude... I would much rather see BFF in a small club...
I also know how cool it feels to be a member of a small group of folks
who dig on something... I think we all wish them the best.

 all is fair mang

   garrett

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 01:52:57 PDT
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: songs that run together and t-shirts

regarding songs that run together, i think that the last little bit
of bowccl and the first little bit of missing the war sound like
they're running together. a friend of mine was listening to the cd
and she thought it was still the same song for a little while.

also, is anyone going to organize the shirts here in australia? i'd
offer, but my orginizational skills are hopeless. i'm in support of
anyone who'd make them.

Crystal

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 standing in my yard
 where they tore down the garage
 to make room for the torn-down garage
- --> "A Self Called Nowhere", They Might Be Giants

Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page
http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 11:03:13 +0100
From: Victoria <hobsons@dircon.co.uk>
Subject: T Shirt.... again!

Hi Armchairers!

I'm probably being really stupid here...but

Don't you think the quote "I feel like a quote out of context" sounds
like I feel really out of place here, or I feel really uncomfortable
here?  That's not how BFF fans are made to feel at concerts!!!!  Just
thought I'd mention it, What do you think the quote means? How do you
see it? I'm curious that's all!

BTW I loved Don's T I think we should all go for it, it would be so cool
to see at a glance all the people on the list at gigs

See ya'll later chickens!

Victoria

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:57:19 EDT
From: Emmaline20@aol.com
Subject: Please

Okay kiddies....could we not beat the proverbial dead horse?? Read past
issues...this arguement was already fought. There are other
topics...like....a new album. Discuss.

Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:03:53 EDT
From: Cleonsdwn@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1461

Hey,

I've kind of been lurking about and not checking my e-mail for awhile. Does
anyone know if Ben and the boys are coming anywhere near
Michigan/Ohio/Illinois/Indiana? I'm in Michigan and willing to travel quite a
ways. Someone send me an e-mail and let me know.

nate

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:56:34 -0600
From: Justin <justin@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>
Subject: The Dr. Is In

Greetings,
After a long vacation from the chair I've decided to post again. Here's my
two cents on the Dr. Pyser hunt.

Check out vol. 1 of the BOWCCL single for a copy of Dr. Pyser w/o strings.
I'm not sure if it's studio or not, but it doesn't sound like a studio
track. I think any verson of Pyser is awesome.
If you want a good recording of the verson w/ strings, check out
"Teleconned Vo. 1: We want the airwaves." It's a comp. CD (on No
Alternative records) released last year with some great live tracks from
not only BFF, but Ani DiFranco, Soul Coughing, and The Lemon Merchants as
well. You should be able to find it at your local record store or be able
to special order it.

I was in the local indi record store yesterday when I conned them into
letting me listen to an advance of TUBORM, and it's really awesome. Some of
the tracks are very Fear Of Pop-ish. (If you haven't got that yet, GO AND
BUY IT!) I also picked up some boots, and if any body is interrested in
trading I'm looking for a few music videos (I'm missing Underground and
SFTD, but I've got the rest), and early TV stuff. By early I mean
pre-WEAEA.

- --
Justin
KU Radio Dude & A Lover of All Things Shiny Since 1980.
E-Mail: <justin@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>
"When Ben plays the piano, he hits it very hard."
	      -Scotty Folds, mother of Ben Folds
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- -As of 4/9/99 There Are 40 Days Until "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom
Menace"
 opens.

- -As of 4/9/99 There are 18 days until "The Unauthorized Biography of
Reinhold
 Messner"--The NEW Ben Folds Five album is released.

- -Check out Mustard Plug's NEW album "Prey For Mojo," available now!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:04:22 +0100
From: Paul May <paulmay@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Videos on Stun....TFI Friday

Hey Everybody

Ohhh Dear....how can they get the mixing so-wrong!!! A good performance by
the boys, but some world-class shitty mixing. The piano was almost
invisible, and Robert's bass was up too high. AND they completely ignored
Darren....the nerve! Anyway, it's always great to see BFF on the TV, but
TFI have fucked up too often. When they were on Jools Holland a few years
ago the mixing was perfect, so there's no excuse for it.

Well....that's my ranting and raving for the week. I'm sure there''ll be
other opinions in today's digest.

Paul May

Ben Folds Five: Irish Style
http://www.irelands-web.ie/bff

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:24:40 EDT
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1462

hey i have this great idea, let's all fight for awhile. . .we haven't done
that in quite some time now

get over the entire "i don't want bf5 big, i want them to be MY band thing"

ben

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:11:42 -0400
From: Lauren <choplin@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: secret press shows

Hey, has anyone on this list actually *been* to a secret press show?  I
haven't, but I'm wondering how exactly that would work.  Do any of them
get up and dance, or do they just sit there and scribble down notes?
BF5, for live shows, seem to work at least partly off the crowd, and I
just got a mental image of BF5 playing at full force, with Ben throwing
the stool, and the press just sitting there watching.

Lauren
http://fly.to/exit-magazine