Issue #1466 - April 13, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, April 13 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1466

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    VIDEO????
    Recording Studio '99?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1464
    Re: The (real) Beatles
    beatles reply
    Re: Gas prices(save some money on your way to those concerts)
    RE: Beatles
    Army is released!  Yay!
    UK Army Single
    Picture of Ben at the Enmore... last chance
    ubl.com
    TFI Friday Army mp3
    oz release and tour dates... PLEASE
    Army kicks ass!!
    beatles

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:20:36 -0400
From: Evan Quinto <evan@dc.jones.com>
Subject: VIDEO????

I was just curious if there has been any mention of the boys making a new
video for "Army?" If anybody has heard anything about this, please inform me.

You know it's going to be cool.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 23:07:13 -0400
From: Evan Quinto <evan@dc.jones.com>
Subject: Recording Studio '99?

If you go to http://www.epiccenter.com/EpicCenter/Benfoldsite/benfive/  and
look at one of the pics, I swear it says '90 instead of '99 in the corner
of the picture.....hmmm...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:28:46 PDT
From: "James McGarvey" <thebluenote@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1464

Hey!
Well.. I'm all psyched for the show in a minute 5 days!! OW! look out
Bowdoin College!  Now I've noticed that the show wasn't highly
publicized.  I only heard Army on the radio a few days ago on WCYY
from Portland, Me.  And the DJ there mentioned it.. but it's not even
on the website... hmm.. I wonder what this means.  Plan on making a
tape.. but how can I do that while getting funkay to the new ben
stuff? hmm.. we'll figure that out. And a note.. if they have a horn
section and don't play Steven's Last Night in Town.. i'll be less than
pleased..:]

James

"I can't believe that we would lie in our graves, dreaming of things
that we might've been"
- -DMB

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:12:24 EDT
From: Beatles050@aol.com
Subject: Re: The (real) Beatles

Hey hey everyone-  (Long time no post)
I know, I know, non Ben-tent...but it's important.  To whoever was concerned
about the Beatles:
Paul played bass, not George.  George played lead guitar.  Paul initially
played guitar...but the band didn't have a permeant bass player.
Ringo's a mighty fine drummer.  He got famous because he could keep the beat
to a T.  Not very many drummers can be so accurate.  He wasn't very elaborate
in his drumming either...it was simple, which is hard to do.  Simplicity is
the key.
John was a revolutionist.  His music sparked the music of today.  Paul is
considered one of the greatest songwriters of this century.  Yes, this is
just an opinion...but hey, 20,000 screaming fans cant' be wrong.
Okay...I'm getting off my post.  Looking forward to the new release!  I hope
BFF will come to Minneapolis.

Daryl

I AM the Walrus

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:26:27 PDT
From: "garrett john weindorf" <garrett78@hotmail.com>
Subject: beatles reply

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:25:11 EDT
               From: KenElbow@aol.com
               Subject: Re: Beatles

               Celine,
Here are a few things that you could mention to that horse friend of
yours
next time she brings the Beatles up.  (one of my favorite bands by the
way, so I'm not slamming on them).  For starters, the Beatles had 4
members as opposed to the 3 of bff.  Also, Roberts style of playing
bass is so new and fresh that you can't even compare it to the bland
bass lines of George.

Also, Darren is able to play many different styles, and well, while
Ringo just plain sucks.  (Trust me on this one, 9, no 10, out of 10
drummers agree.
Including myself.)  As far as Ben goes, well how many times have you
heard Paul or John say "fuck" or "shit" or any of those other cuss
words that Ben likes to use.  Oh, and I don't think I've ever heard of
a beatles concert where they slammed a stool into the piano.  There is
much more that I could think of, but it's late, and that should be
enough to get you started anyway.

               ------------------------------

I say:

 Whoever wrote this clearly has a very shady understanding of the
beatles to begin with.
Example:

 "Also, Roberts style of playing bass is so new and fresh that you
can't even compare it to the bland bass lines of George."

 allow me to clear up one "trivial" bit of information dearie... as
any beatle fan (or anyone who doesnt have their head firmly lodged in
their ass) knows, George Harrison was the beatles' lead guitarist, NOT
the bassist.  Paul McCartney was the bass player, and a damn fine one
at that.  It's been noted over and over and fucking OVER again how
inventive Paul's bass playing was--how he created entire melodies on
the bass that could stand alone from the rest of the song.  He got
away from what (until then) had been the standard bass part (simply
playing the note at the root of the chord).  If you dont believe me,
check out the interview with Paul on his bass-playing from Bass Player
magazine from June 1995:

http://kiwi.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu:8088/public/files/bbs/bass-player.html

also check out:

A Brief History of How the Bass Guitar Came to Prominence -- a
terrific web-based article on
the development of the bass-guitar, with considerable space given to
Paul's pivotal role and
influence.

http://www.clarkson.edu/~leachje/basstext.html

The beatles actually swore quite a bit.  the fact is that they were
around 30+ years ago and what society may find acceptable today, they
damn sure didnt back then.  as a result, 99% of all the beatles
swearing was edited out and is only now available for us to hear
"officially".  this stuff had previously only been available on
bootlegs.  If it wasnt edited out, it was hidden.
Example:

"penny lane"--finger pie(s) was slang for giving a girl a hand job.

I'm afraid the same goes for Ringo's drum playing...  I don't feel
like getting in to all that right now, but a wealth of information is
available on ringos unique style and how it has changed not only rock
drumming, but the style of drummers in many genres.  just look around
on the web a bit and you'll see what i mean.

(alright, just a little)--

because ringo played left-handed on a regular drum set, he wasnt able
to do your standard rolls on the toms... instead, he developed a
pulsing, chopping style of fills that didnt rely on over-used high to
low (or reversed) rolls.

two excellent examples of this are on the songs "strawberry fields
forever" (you might have heard of that one), and "rain" (have a
beatles fan introduce you to this one, dickie.)

damn---i should be a lawyer...

in conclusion,

 i am right--you are wrong--suck a honey badger's ass.

 garrett--"dont fuck with me when it comes to the beatles"

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 02:37:38 -0500
From: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject: Re: Gas prices(save some money on your way to those concerts)

>Ok that's it, please don't kill me for putting a non-bentent message
>up.  It's the only way I could think to spread it around quickly.  If
>you're wondering, I didn't start it, someone sent it to me.

This is off topic, and pretty fucking dumb too:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blgas.htm?pid=2733&cob=home

- --
Christopher Schulte
WEB: http://www.schulte.org/
EMAIL: christopher@schulte.org
FAX: (209) 391.9867

Some of god's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:59:15 +0100
From: Edward Collier <colliere@techop.co.uk>

KenElbow@aol.com wrote:

<snip>
>Also, Roberts style of playing bass is so new and
>fresh that you can't even compare it to the bland bass lines of George.

Well, chum, for your information George played guitar.  Paul played bass.
And to use your own standard of proof 10 out of 10 bass players who had
ever bothered to listen would tell you that Paul was probably one of the
most innovative, unbland bass players that ever played.  I'm terribly sorry
be the one to break it to you, but I imagine even Robert would agree that
Paul
was the better player, was anyone small-minded enough to wish to force
the issue.

>Also, Darren is able to play many different styles, and well, while Ringo
>just plain sucks.  (Trust me on this one, 9, no 10, out of 10 drummers
agree.
>Including myself.)
Don't necessarily disagree.

> As far as Ben goes, well how many times have you heard
>Paul or John say "fuck" or "shit" or any of those other cuss words that Ben

>likes to use.  Oh, and I don't think I've ever heard of a beatles concert
>where they slammed a stool into the piano.

I'm sorry, but so?  Are we supposed to deduce that the Beatles apparent
eschewing of swear words make them less worthy?  Right, deep musical
criticism.  And of course, the clincher is that they didn't smash up their
instruments with furniture.  I've been thinking all this time that it was
the
music that mattered.

Edward

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:00:27 +0100
From: Victoria <hobsons@dircon.co.uk>
Subject: Army is released!  Yay!

Hii armchairers,

Army is released today in the UK!

I am off to buy the wonderful new single at lunch and I can't wait!  I
can't decide whether to have lunch now or now! My local Our Price is
quite a hike up the road, but it'll be worth it!  I shall buy both
copies of the CD single to cheer me up, as I have had another row with
the boyfriend again, I hope I make up with him before May 13th at the
Forum.
Anyway I met a really cool American barman at the local pub (before I
walked out on Boyfriend) who hails from Chapel Hill, I was impressed, he
sat in bar all night coming over to our table and singing BFF at us, he
wants me to get him tickets for the Forum, so I will!

Will post once I've heard the joys of my two (count em) new singles!

BTW TFI fucked up the sound again didn't they, didn't they?  And they
even had the nerve to play Army over the closing credits, you didn't
even get to hear the whole of the song.

BTW 2  I just loved the way Ben sang:  "Son you're OH SO high!"

'nough for now

Love Victoria

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:20:04 +0000
From: "Del" <prs14097-001@popmail.prestel.co.uk>
Subject: UK Army Single

Theme from Dr Pyser on the UK Army single is a studio version with
strings. It sounds fantastic.

It sounded better than I expected on TFI but still wasn't stunning,
but the boys seemed to be enjoying themselves and the crowd
seemed really into it. They went and cut them off at the end
which was really annoying.

Jools Holland starts up again this week so I really hope they play on
their.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://members.xoom.com/soundsurfer/
Realaudio samples of albums from Ben Folds Five, Weezer & the
Stereophonics.Coming Soon ... Allstar Utd, New Radicals & Switchfoot.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:09:55 -0700
From: Clare <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: Picture of Ben at the Enmore... last chance

If you haven't seen the picture of Ben live on stage at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney from Rolling Stone that I've had on my site, now's your last chance. I've had to take it
off the pictures page because it was taken by an independant photographer, so Rolling Stone doesn't hold the copyright and can't give me permission to use it. Here's the
direct address... I'll probably delete it in a couple of days.
http://www.geocities.com:80/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381/ROLLING1.GIF

And, a while ago someone mentioned about how frequently Ben swears in songs, but after hearing both the album version and radio edit version of ARMY lots of times, I can
really notice that he swears where the song *needs* a naughy word.... for example, "Dad said 'Son you MUST BE high'" just doesn't sound right and in the radio edit version,
it sounds extremely empty in the bit where "Aww shit" is missing.

One last thing... does anyone know if we (in Australia) get the same episodes of The Late Show on the same day as the U.S., or will we get the BF5 one a couple of days later?
Thanks...
- -Clare-
- --
 **********************Have a go at the trivia quiz!********************
The In-Betweens...                         ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:05:57 -0400
From: kristi@idirect.com
Subject: ubl.com

Go to UBL.COM and you can hear clips from the new BFF album.

Take care,
Kristi

- --
"In the end we're all Springer guests, I guess. We've just
never been on the show."
- -Marilyn Manson-

Kristi@idirect.com
http://come.to/kristi
ICQ: 1871111

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:42:14 +0100
From: "Will Brady" <will@benfoldsfive.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: TFI Friday Army mp3

Hey 'chairers,

I've made an .mp3 of the live performance of 'Army' from TFI Friday and
posted it on my site. Check it out:

http://www.benfoldsfive.freeserve.co.uk

Anyone that wants a copy of the UK single or would be willing to trade for
it can e-mail me and I'll pick up another copy.

See ya,

Will.
Ben Folds Five: The Man From Uncool
http://www.benfoldsfive.freeserve.co.uk

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:57:11 +1000
From: Christine Ko <s365927@student.uq.edu.au>
Subject: oz release and tour dates... PLEASE

hey peeps,

could someone please email me or post up again the dates for the oz release
of TUBORM and also the oz tour dates? just brissie would do.

thanks in advance..

christine
                                                        \,`/ /
                                                        _)..  `_
                                                       ( __  -\
                                                           '`.
                        Traders Welcome                   ( \>_-_,
                                                          _||_ ~-/
    CHRISTINE KO - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/3218/
- -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,*~'`^`'~*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:25:16 +0000
From: "STEVEN IAN PICK" <A9610098@newi.ac.uk>
Subject: Army kicks ass!!

Hiya, all!

Can't wait until April 26th for the new BFF album - it weird, but I
reckon Fear of Pop has left some sort of spooky imprint on some
of the single B sides to Army - especially Birds and Leather
Jacket. Army is such a cool song though - it's great that there's a
brass ensemble to really belt the song's message across -and!
AND! I thought they were going to rip us UK fans off with that live
Theme to Dr P, but heck! It's a studio version, and it sounds
AMAZING..!!

They kicked ass on TFI Friday as well, even though they were the
last band on and I had to watch the terminal bilge which actually is
TFI Friday... :)

Hopefully Army gets some good airplay, but not as much as One
Week by the Barenaked Ladies, which has unfortunately made
them as mainstream as mayo... (sob..!).

Steve :)~
A9610098@newi.ac.uk
members.xoom.com/pickasso/

Visit my uncompleted site!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:18:25 -0500
From: "McCunney" <smccunne@midwest.net>
Subject: beatles

I don't believe what I just read.  For one thing George didn't even play =
bass, Paul did.  And he is probably one of the greatest bassists that =
ever lived.  Robert Sledge is great, but saying that George(Paul) =
doesn't even compare to him shows your lack of musical knowledge.  And =
you think Ringo sucks?  Have you ever heard Abbey Road?  If you listen =
to it you will realize that there Is nothing bland about Pauls' bass =
lines and Ringo doesn't suck.  I hope the reasons you couldn't think of =
were better than the ones you used.  How old was the person who made =
this post?  I hope you were about 12, or you must be a real dumb ass.