Issue #1467 - April 13, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, April 13 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1467

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

    VKTRS
    Recording
    BF5 at tufts???
    the beatles
    Spin
    darren
    alternative press

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:21:37 GMT
From: Nhu_Nguyen@post.wesleyan-college.edu (Nhu Nguyen)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1465

armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl,Internet writes:
>Roberts style of playing bass is so new and fresh that you can't even compare
>it to the bland bass lines of George
george didn't play bass...paul did...

>how many times have you heard Paul or John say "fuck" or "shit" or any of those
>other cuss words that Ben likes to use.
more than you think...have you listened to the live stuff?

but ben folds five is beatle-ish in that they're creating new ways to portray
music etc...even their showmanship...the beatles were ground breaking in their
day & time...oh and even though ringo wasn't the best drummer, he had a steady
beat...it wasn't that their early music was new but they had charisma...so i'd
think it was a compliment to place bff in the same category as the beatles...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:57:28 EDT
From: SyN3RG3@aol.com
Subject: VKTRS

Dan,

> Anyone seen this illusive disc?

ben wasn't really bullshitting that time -
I have also heard the show where he mentions the cd.. and someone mentioned
on here.. longlong ago.. that the cd wasn't released because it hit some sort
of legal snag and they couldn't get through all the red tape ..

Thanks for the info about the beatles

>Also, Darren is able to play many different styles, and >well, while Ringo
> just plain sucks.

HA! one of her main complaints is "oh the drum part is soo boring, its just
the same thing over and over. you'd think they could be innovative or
something"

i think she just likes to harass me.
Celine
http://members.aol.com/SyN3RG3/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:58:58 EDT
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Recording

Does anyone have any tips on how to record a concert? I would like to record
the URI show for my own listening pleasure. But i've never done anything like
that except with a miniature tape recorder at a gruvis malt concert.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:31:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: connolly <mconnoll@emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: BF5 at tufts???

Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm a student at Tufts University,
our Spring Fling is on May 1st, I've heard various people mention that Ben
Folds Five will be announced as the headliner. These people are pretty
good sources...if it's true, i'll be so psyched, cause i'll be "security"
and meet them. i did the same thing last year, but the headliner was ll
cool j, and i wasn't as excited to meet him :)

- -mike

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:33:17 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: the beatles

Paul played the bass, and he was damn good at it.  The lines weren't
bland, he was one of the first rock bassists to stray from the root note
of the chord.  Ringo didn't suck, he was simply stifled by john.  he was
actually known to be a good jazz drummer.  as for banging the piano
stool... well no, the beatles never did that.  they were a studio band
anyway.  Having said that, I don't think you can quite compare BFF to
the beatles just yet.  BFF have been around for like 6 years, and have 3
albums, Lennon/McCartney were one of the most prolific and talented
songwriting teams in pop history.  Ben is a great songwriter, but I
don't know if you can put him above the beatles yet.  I'm not sure if I
misunderstood your meaning KenElbow@aol.com, but if the idea was that
BFF are better than the Beatles, I think you're wrong at this point.  If
I did misunderstand you, sorry.  Speaking of the Beatles, anyone have
John Pizzarelli's new beatles cover album? it kicks some arse.

sean

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:29:44 EDT
From: CyberEm7@aol.com
Subject: Spin

BEN FOLDS FIVE IS IN SPIN!!!
It's a great article, and some cool pictures.. It didn't make them look like
big-time, made-up movie/rock stars... it was very down to earth.  Extremely
cool.
ALSO, I may be going to the Amherst, MA show on Saturday.  My dad wants to
come.. I know it sounds mean, but I want a little independence but he likes
BF5 and it takes us 3 hours to drive there, and he figured he'd come along..
I need some help.. Any one in the Amherst area who know of something to
occupy him while I'm @ the concert?? <:)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:19:05 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: darren

karen said:

>Hey everyone.  I just picked up a copy of the May CMJ with the
article about
>our boys, and noticed Darren's name spelled differently throughout
the whole
>article.  It's spelled "Darrin" instead of "Darren."  Now I'm
confused about
>which is the right way.  Did CMJ just screw up?  I was just
curious....

well considering that I Darren signed his name for me d. a .r. r. e.
n. I'm going to assume that it's with an e

but I could be wrong

taves. facetious as always. love spelling that f word.

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:40:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jess <julianne_5@yahoo.com>
Subject: alternative press

there's an article about them in alternative press..

jess

The Page That's Uncanny To See
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/