Issue #1473 - April 18, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, April 18 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1473

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Re: private show setlist
    Re: The Rockford Files V2 #127
    Friday's Show - Bowdoin College
    Fan Debate - go and use it!!
    hordern pavilion sydney
    army clip
    TUBORM in Boston
    Ticket Available for Park West, Chicago Show
    Re; Spare Reels
    Leather Jacket Or Birds
    army video?!
    Bowdoin show

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 02:02:04 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Re: private show setlist

Someone asked for the setlist of the private show BFF did in London. it was
as follows:

Don't Change Your Plans, Mess, Magic, Army, Battle of Who Could Care Less,
Lullabye and Underground

Tom and Ken from SNZ were supposed to play with them but due to "passport
problems" they didn't, and they hired some english folks to play with them.

Don't email me about this, this is all i know.

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:54:47 PDT
From: "Leigh ." <leigh13@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: The Rockford Files V2 #127

<begin apology for massive crosspost.  my first post was eaten by
hotmail.>

I went to see Ben Folds Five tonight, live.  This was the first time
in 6 months.  It rocked.  It rocked so hard.  Bowdoin College in
Brunswick, Maine hosted a damn good show!

Fleming & John opened.  They rule.  Fleming looked down from the
stage at me and said, "Hey! I know that guy from New Jersey!"  How I
love her. If you care, here was their set: I'm So Small - Shhh - Rain
All Day - Comfortable - Sadder Day - Devils Food - Radiate - Ugly
Girl - Love Song.

Ben had two pianos--one rigged for Mess that he also used for the
solo in Army.  The pianos were set up with the keys facing each other
and Ben did his job from there.  They also had a Moog for all the
synth stuff on Messner and Robert manned the keys.  Darren had a
tympani and a gong.  It was so damn cool.

John Mark Painter played Flugelhorn for the horn solo in Dont Change
Your Plans.  It sounded awesome.  Umm, they have four new designs for
t-shirts.  One is black with the new album cover.  Another black one
has this awesome b&w photo of the guys wearing those silly old
clothes.  There is also a light blue one and a white one with Warhol-
esque Messner guys on the front.

I had good friends with me for the show.  Brett and Aaron from the
Armchair were with me, along with my friends Erik and Laura.  There
were football players crowdsurfing.  Crowdsurfing I said.  At a Ben
Folds Five show.  We punched them in the ribs when they passed over
us into the helpful hands of the security guards.

There was a stupid stupid girl behind me blabbering all through
Magic.  The moment was so beautiful though, and the lighting was
awesome.  I took 20-some photos and should have them posted on my
page on Monday.

I met Lara.  She did a fine job organizing the show.  Everyone give
her an online pat on the back.  Hi Lara, you're a nice girl.  I drove
3 hours back to Boston after the show.  And now I sit here on hotmail
remembering the wonders of the first real show of the Reinhold
Messner era.  Wow.

The full set:

Dont Change Your Plans
Battle Of Who Could Care Less
Philosophy
Mess
Stevens Last Night In Town
Magic
Hospital Song
Army (w/ JMP on horn)
Underground (with intro)
One Angry Dwarf
Narcolepsy
Fair
Your Redneck Past
- ---
Lullabye
Song For The Dumped

On to Amherst on Saturday.  Rock!

- - Leigh 13

leigh13@mindless.com
http://members.tripod.com/ex13

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:37:01 PDT
From: "Leigh ." <leigh13@hotmail.com>
Subject: Friday's Show - Bowdoin College

Two mistakes in my last post.

Sorry about the stupid subject header.  It should have read the same
as this one, "Friday's Show - Bowdoin College."

Also, John Mark Painter did NOT play Flugelhorn on Army.  He played
on Don't Change Your Plans.  For the horn part on Army, Robert and
Darren sang the part, al la Dr Pyser.  Ben might have sang too, who
knows.

That's what I get for writing concert reviews at 4:30 in the morning.

Back to my Tostitos.

- - Leigh 13

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:09:06 -0700
From: Clare <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: Fan Debate - go and use it!!

I've finally gotten the FAN DEBATE section of my webpage up and running.
No prizes for guessing which Ben Folds Five mailing list gave me the idea...!
The first topic is:
>Brickheads (post-brick fans) ARE or ARE NOT 'real fans'.
...or anything relating to that. I chose that because it always seems to get
people talking on MA. The debate works like a guestbook, just go to my page and
then at the Add-Entry page fill in your details and opinion. Go nuts- I want the
page
to be used. So if you even have an incy wincy opinion on the topic, join the
debate!
- -Clare

"Ben Folds Five Army. Now that's a scary thought!"
                                          -my brother, upon reading the front
                                           of my Army single. Thought it was
                                           amusing.

Hmmm, the Ben Folds Five Army... that'd be us wouldn't it?!
- --
 *************Have a go at the Trivia Quiz or Fan Debate!**************
The In-Betweens...                         ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co:

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 05:28:45 PDT
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: hordern pavilion sydney

hey there,
i know i've asked this a couple of
times, but no one has answered me,
and i know there's gotta be someone
out there who's been to the hordern
pavilion.

so, does anyone know if sydney's
hordern pavilion is all ages? i've
never been there and i wouldn't have
a clue. please help me! thankyooo in
advance!
from janet :-Þ

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 05:34:55 PDT
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: army clip

hoy loy again!
sorry bout the 2 posts,
but my brother just told
me that he saw the clip
to army on rage last
night! woo hoo! he said
something bout balloons
and a brass band. i'm
gonna watch tonight, see
if they play it again!
you watch too!
janet

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 11:52:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrea Rae Tao <atao@fas.harvard.edu>
Subject: TUBORM in Boston

For those of you in the Boston area:

WFNX (101.7) will be airing TUBORM in its entirety this Sunday night at
11:00.  Get you tape cassettes ready!!

Andrea

              Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

                                   ~Henry David Thoreau

Andrea Rae Tao                                          (617)493-3717
2450 Harvard Yard Mail Center				atao@fas.harvard.edu
Cambridge, MA 02138					atao@checfs2.ucsd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: tyler <lemming_squash@yahoo.com>
Subject: Ticket Available for Park West, Chicago Show

Hey,

I know, I never post but what the hell, I do enjoy
reading (generally) :)  both the RF and MA.

The person who was going with me to the Chicago
concert on 5/3 has cancelled so I have an extra ticket
available for anyone who wants it...... yeah, I know,
she's stoooopid.  I live in St Louis and will give
first preference to someone in the St Louis area who
might be interested in sharing the cost of the trip
(gas).  Anyone interested, who needs a ticket, is
welcome to get in touch, no matter where you live.
Sorry, I just have one extra.

The ticket price is $16.50 plus 1/2 of the convenience
and handling charges which is another $6.50 for a
total of $23.

I'm not going to be available (on the net) from 4/21
through 4/28 so I'd like to wrap this up if possible
by 4/20 (Tuesday).

Thanks,

Tyler
lemming_squash@yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 15:27:15 -0400 (EWT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: Re; Spare Reels

"Steve Warden" <warden_s@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just a thought here, but could it be possible that Spare Reels is the
>video that they made from all the stuff they collected from fans
>w/videos?

Spare Reels is not taken from the videos that people have submitted. It's
about 45 minutes of new footage of the band. Not having seen it yet
(though I'm sure someone has a copy for sale on Ebay already) I can't say
exactly what is in it.

 -fjm
                 You've gotta have it behind this junk around

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:45:21 EDT
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Leather Jacket Or Birds

Does anyone have sheet music to leather jacket or birds?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:15:20 EDT
From: SHAP99@aol.com
Subject: army video?!

hey everybody!
my friend has reported seeing the army video on much music last night (early
this morning) at 3:30. he only saw the last few seconds and said that the
guys were in front of a red white and blue background or something.
well anyways, i didnt know there was an army video yet.
 anyone care to clarify?
lov ya!
- --->jez
oh yeah, i got my TUBORM postcard in the mail today!! there are 2 stickers on
it!!
I be happy!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:37:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: connolly <mconnoll@emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: Bowdoin show

The show last night was incredible. They did a lot of new stuff, playing
only two from the s/t (underground and philosophy). I didn't keep a
setlist, but i'm pretty sure they only did 5 from whatever (angry dwarf,
stevens, battle, fair, song for the dumped). The new stuff was good, but a
bit slower than their usual concert stuff.

Best yet, after the show, all three hung around to take pictures and sign
autographs. I didn't have a camera, but i did get a shirt signed by all
three, and also got to talk to each of them for a bit. It was incredible,
and they were as nice and down to earth as everyone on this list has said.

last off, if anyone wants me to get them tickets for the tufts show on
5/1, just e-mail me, i should be able to get at least a couple more. of
course, i'll give them off at face value ($10), but if you wanted to throw
in a bootleg or two as a sign of appreciation, i'd be happy :)

i'll continue to enjoy the post-bf5 concert glow (it's been a while).

- -mike