Issue #1475 - April 20, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, April 20 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1475

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    LaFrak? LaSCHMAK!
    ARMY video
    ARMY VIDEO ON 120 MIN. TONIGHT!!!
    Pyser on Army is NOT the same as Teleconned
    Birds=Henry Fool?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1474
    Bowdoin Show
    Army video premeir on 120 Mins
    Re: Weird
    Re: Army at No 28 in the charts
    melbourne shows?? tickets??
    BRISBANE
    UK Army single Trade
    German release date TUBORM
    Origin of the name "Magical Armchair"

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:08:11 EDT
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: LaFrak? LaSCHMAK!

Firstly, who names a gymnasium "LaFrak"? I don't care HOW MUCH Mr. or Mrs.
LaFrak gave the Amherst College, someone should have the common sense to know
that it's just a stupid name. Period.

That said, GOD DAMN was Amhest a great show! I wrote up a review of it for
<A HREF="http://www.ink19.com/">Ink Nineteen</A> which i'll probably post
whenever it's all tweaked and whatnot (hope there aren't any Flemming and
John fans ready to pounce!). Ran into a couple armchair people, which was
nuts...

But, i do have an inquiry, for all you folks that know and love the piano as
an instrument (instead of just Ben's medium). Ben now uses two pianos on
stage... anyone know what they are? I'm assuming one is a baby grand. And the
other? (please respond to me privatly for this one, being that i don't read
100% of the armchairs that come through my e-mailbox..) Thanks!

What else can i say here... well, i guess a little dash and then my name in
lower-case letters would suffice, followed by a hyperlink to my webpage. yeah.

      -jason.

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/knulprek/home.html">The Happy Scrappy
Page</A>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:31:14 EDT
From: Vertigo131@aol.com
Subject: ARMY video

Supposedly the video for Army will be on 120 minutes tonight.  I hope so!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:24:32 EDT
From: JKFett@aol.com
Subject: ARMY VIDEO ON 120 MIN. TONIGHT!!!

Just a reminder that Army's debut will be on 120 minutes tonight. Starts at
midnight Eastern on MTV!!! See you there! (or...sorta...)
Dan
http://www.msu.edu/~austind1

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:35:01 -0400
From: "Jared Pinkos & Marcae Benoit" <jaredmarcae@sprynet.com>
Subject: Pyser on Army is NOT the same as Teleconned

Theme From "Dr. Pyser" as it appears on the Army single is most =
definitely NOT THE SAME VERSION that appears on Teleconned-Americans for =
Radio Diversity.  Whomever posted that earlier was mistaken.  =
Later-Jared

Also-I do not know why all this extra crap shows up whenever I post to =
the Armchair.  If someone out there knows how to get rid of it, please =
let me know.  Check out the most best discography on the net at: =
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/benfoldsfive/=20

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:59:02 -0500
From: "Matt Jacobs" <mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Birds=Henry Fool?

Alright, I recently recieved my Amry single in the mail and I have listened
to it about 10 times now.  One thing I have noticed is how the main melody
to "Birds" is incredibly similar to the central melody used in the
soundtrack to the movie "Henry Fool," by Hal Hartley.  I know most of you
will not be able to make this connection so if you are curious enough then
you can email me personally and I will send you an mp3 of one of the songs
that showcases this similar tune.  I tried to find a site that has a sample
of a song that has the tune but, alas, there is none.  So, again, email for
it if you'd like...

Thinking too hard as usual,
Matty J

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
matty j.
mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu
AIM- Lifeisski
ICQ# 25174853

If you want to be happy, be.
 Leo Tolstoy

My philosophy
Keeps me walking when I'm falling down
 Ben Folds (Five)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Laura Elaine Gluhanich <lgluhani@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1474

NEW VIDEO ON 120 MINUTES TONIGHT!  ON NOW!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Laura Gluhanich
  4916 Taylor House
     South Quad
University of Michigan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:41:25 PDT
From: "James McGarvey" <thebluenote@hotmail.com>
Subject: Bowdoin Show

hey all!
I just found out that on may firss, a relativly local band from my
area (new england) is opening for the boys! OW! this makes me happy.
That would be the tufts show - which is that spring fling, i guess,
and someone said they could get some tix for that, didn't they? hmm.
   Well, the Bowdoin show rocked the mothership.  They opened with
"Don't Change Your Plans".  Quite the mellow piece to start with, but
it kept the audience awestruck. As a side note, i was up in the front,
right in front of Ben.  I didn't get the -whole- band's autographs,
just ben's, but i got to talk to him for a substantial amount ot time.
 I almost got darren's autograph, but he walked out to the bus - right
by me with a mostly empty six-pack in his hands....:)  They boys were
a bit annoyed at the fact that they were signing bricks all night, but
on talking about Ben didn't seem to mind.. he is on laid back mo-fo, i
can tell you that much.:)
  Anyway, when they broke into philosophy, it was crazy.. There were
quite a few stupid people who would start to crowd surf on a kick ass
ben solo, but i guess to each their own.
  One of the most amusing parts of the night was when darren came down
from the set for 'Underground', said his line, and waited for the
whole audience to yell "Who the fuck are you?!", per Naked Baby
Photos.. that got a good laugh.
All in all the new stuff blew me away, espescially the insane talent
shown on Narcolepsy... damn he's amazing.  Well, can't wait!  See
y'all soon!
jamie

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:54:10 -0400
From: "Jared Pinkos & Marcae Benoit" <jaredmarcae@sprynet.com>
Subject: Army video premeir on 120 Mins

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE89FF.22ABC1E0

I can't believe I was lucky enough to get out of bed around 12:00am and =
just happen to catch "Army" premiering on 120 Minutes.  It was the first =
video shown.  Matt Pinfield talked about it so long that I was even able =
to get a tape in and record it!  It's a good video, just the guys having =
a lot of fun playing, and a lot of fanfare going on around them.  Did =
anyone announce this appearance at all?  It totally came out of nowhere =
it seems.  Anyway, I hope the rest of you get to see it.  It will =
probably be on again next week.  That's the way it was for Underground =
and Battle at least.  Later-Jared

Visit the best discography on the net at: =
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/benfoldsfive/=20

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE89FF.22ABC1E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I can't believe I was lucky enough =
to get out of=20
bed around 12:00am and just happen to catch "Army" premiering =
on 120=20
Minutes.  It was the first video shown.  Matt Pinfield talked =
about it=20
so long that I was even able to get a tape in and record it!  It's =
a good=20
video, just the guys having a lot of fun playing, and a lot of fanfare =
going on=20
around them.  Did anyone announce this appearance at all?  It =
totally=20
came out of nowhere it seems.  Anyway, I hope the rest of you get =
to see=20
it.  It will probably be on again next week.  That's the way =
it was=20
for Underground and Battle at least.  Later-Jared</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Visit the best discography on the =
net at: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.angelfire.com/mi/benfoldsfive/">http://www.angelfire.c=
om/mi/benfoldsfive/</A>=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 02:05:39 -0500
From: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject: Re: Weird

At 02:01 AM 4/19/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:24:52 EDT
>From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
>Subject: Weird
>
>I just typed in benfoldsfive.org instead of www.benfoldsfive.org, and it
>brought me to some weird site. It's real funky.

Not really.  The explanation is quite simple.  The server that hosts
www.benfoldsfive.org is a unix box running the apache 1.3.3 web server.
This physical machine probably hosts a whole lot of webpages all at once.
It then assigns all the www.domain.tld names the same physical IP address
(208.26.171.3).

What happens is all requests that come into www.benfoldsfive.com will have
the following header added to the HTTP get request:

HOST: www.benfoldsfive.org

That way, one physical IP address can host virtually an unlimited number of
what we call "virtual hosts" or "virtual domains."  The problem is that the
admins of this particular server made a boo-boo and did not enter in the
correct ServerAlias directive into their httpd.conf.  In other words, the
server is set up to ONLY show the benfoldsfive page when it is called from
www.benfoldsfive.org, and NOT just benfoldsfive.org.  When a request comes
into the server with a

HOST: benfoldsfive.org

header, it does not know what to do, and serves the default page for the
server.  That's what you see.

This is a trivial problem to fix.  Any competent webmaster could fix this
in 15 seconds.

- --
Christopher Schulte
WEB: http://www.schulte.org/
EMAIL: christopher@schulte.org
FAX: (209) 391.9867

snaildust.schulte.org: linux 2.0.36, 64M 10.1G 333MHZ
http, ftp, irc, smtp, pop3, smb, nfs, ssh, majordomo, etc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:21:52 +0000
From: "STEVEN IAN PICK" <A9610098@newi.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Army at No 28 in the charts

Hiya, y'all!

chart at 28 - after all, because of Brick's success with all that air-
play, we ended up with a crummy dance version of that song...!
And Radio 1 suck anyway - if Jo Whiley plays Verve's Bitter Sweet
Symphony one more time, I swear I'll implode..!

Steve :)~

A9610098@newi.ac.uk
http://members.xoom.com/pickasso

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:10:59 +1000
From: nina <doves@eisa.net.au>
Subject: melbourne shows?? tickets??

hey guys
i havent been around for a few weeks, so i dont know if i ever got an
answer to my post, if i have or someone else has answered this question,

sorry!
BUT...does anyone know when melbourne tickets go on sale, i know the
shows in august, so the tickets should be on sale soon!
if anyone knows, plllllllleeeeease can they let me know :) thankyou!!!
Evie :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:51:48 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: BRISBANE

hello
I am typing my email at home. I have email at home. Oh yes... yES...
YES... YES!!

um some of this news may have already been covered. whatever.

in BRISBANE: at HMV you can pre0rder Tubeworm anf the bonus disc
(which as prev. metioned, has 3 songs from JJJ's live at wireless,
plus truth and rumours) and tubeworm does seem to have a bonus aussie
track making it 12 tracks (ahh, all's right with the world)

They have no word on the video thing some people have been talking
about.

they say it's out on the 25th although that is anzac day and we have
thuis long weekend thing happeneing so I dunno...

in time off (brissie street mag) there is a review of ARMY:

"If we were Elton John, we'd be masquerading as Jerry Lee Lewis too.
Taken from the forethcoming album tubeworm, 'Army' pulls on a pair of
tight pants and white lace ups andm starts throwing paino stools
around like there is no tomoorrow."

Excuse me while I go and watch friends, it seems to be a good episode
tonight. Good golly, but Chandler is my favourite tv boy.

taves (possibly icq-ing soon thanks to dan who of course rocks)

'nup, got nuthin'

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:50:19 +0000
From: "Del" <prs14097-001@popmail.prestel.co.uk>
Subject: UK Army single Trade

> To the person who was wanting to trade a UK Army
>single for Ben Lee's "Cigarettes Will Kill You", can
>you please e-mail me, as I'm having trouble getting
>mail through to your address.

>Thanks,
>Jodie
>===
>         _--_|\
>        /      \
>Perth=> *_.--._/

Hi Jodie,

I'm the bloke who wants to do the trade. Actually I will trade both
the UK Army singles for the Ben Lee one. I bought them on the first
week of release so I got two for the price of 1.

My email address is:
del@bloomfieldsup.prestel.co.uk

Del.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:19:11 +0200
From: "Chris Reiffert ;-)" <reiffert@hrz2.uni-oldenburg.de>
Subject: German release date TUBORM

Hi there,

I hope I don't repeat anything mentioned before, but I finally found out
that TUBORM is said to be released on

26th April

which is next Monday.....

Can't wait..

CU

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:25:16 -0400 (EWT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: Origin of the name "Magical Armchair"

A week or so ago there was some discussion about why "someone picked the
name Magical Armchair" when there were so many other great things that Ben
said.  Let me fill in the "new members" (anyone who's been here less than
a couple years) on how it came about.

As it happens, I agree that BFF's lyrics are full of great names for
things, as you can see from the wide array of websites and other lists
with different names out there. When I started the list, it was simply
"Ben Folds Five Digest". Since I couldn't decide for myself, I decided to
put it to a vote of what were then 526 members (currently well over a
thousand, with a peak of around 1500 at one time).  Over the course of
about a month, there was discussion about a list name.  I submitted a few
of the most often mentioned names to the list membership in the form of an
e-mail ballot and tabulated the results by hand. Of the 206 replies, The
Magical Armchair was the winner by a pretty good margin. And so it was
deemed, by a democratic vote.

So there you have it - how our little group came to be known as the
Magical Armchair. And when you are seated in the Armchair, you're in the
front row of all things Ben Folds Five, thanks to everyone's support over
the last 3 1/2 years.

 -fjm
                       I coulda done it.. I had my shot