Issue #1484 - April 25, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, April 25 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1484

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Jackson Cannery
    Joe Jackson please!!
    TUBORM release in Brisbane
    TUBORM and video
    another long radio/retail primer
    Re: TLA Show!!!
    Free PSU Show
    Tubeworm in the NW US
    Randoms
    help a fan out! URI!
    BFF Live Show Review Archive Setlist Feature Enabled!
    army/vh1

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:10:07 EDT
From: Julianne23@aol.com
Subject: Jackson Cannery

okay, if this turns out to be a stupid question, feel free to cyberslap me.
but ive been wondering who or what "Jackson Cannery" is.  its hard to figure
out, no?  someone who knows, please inform me.

spank you very much!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:18:51 EDT
From: Nukky18@aol.com
Subject: Joe Jackson please!!

if anyone has the mp3 of steppin' out by joe jackson, could you hook me up
please.. i love that song and cant find it anywhere in local record stores.

- -jeremy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:12:56 PDT
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: TUBORM release in Brisbane

hey everyone
this really just relates to brisbane-ites, so here you go, for anyone
in the brisbane area -
Rocking Horse Records (across from King George Square) said that they
will have TUBORM on the shelves tomorrow, which is Sunday the 25th.
That's also ANZAC day, but they are open and you can get TUBORM
there. I will be going there.
Make sure to look at the floor when you go there, they have these
TUBORM things on the first floor there, just as you walk in the door.
(I saw them and stood stock still and stared for a few minutes, and
my sister came up and jumped all over them, saying it was going to be
the only chance she'd ever get to kick ben folds in the head).
They're on the floor almost everywhere actually, sony are pushing
this CD a lot, so everyone make sure to look at them and walk around
them so they don't get dirty!
And, also in HMV in Queen Street mall, there is a mannequin dressed
up in mountain climbing gear, with a sign around his neck that says
"who the hell is reinhold messner?" or something to that effect.
Honestly, there is. It's down the stairs to the left as you go in.
Hmmmm...
and in timeoff, there is a full page ad, in which they have written
about the bonus disc, and it says "stephen's" last night... you'd
think they could at least spell it right, but actually on the aussie
sony music website (www.sonymusic.com.au) it's spelt that way too. I
wonder if it's spelt right on the cd?
Anyway, TUBORM day tommorrow!

Crystal

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 she thinks the afterlife might just be where the action is
 with high schools built like prisons
 she can't find a way to live
- --> "Everything Old Is New Again", Barenaked Ladies

Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page
http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:27:57 -0400
From: tzrich@microdsi.net (tzrich)
Subject: TUBORM and video

If you're having trouble finding TUBORM packaged with the special video, go
to www.towerrecords.com .  It cost about $25 bucks and you can see the
entire track listing for the vid.

- ---
"Want a good body? Work at it. Want to be a success? Work at it. Want to be
truly exceptional? Be a touch insane...You need a little bit of insanity to
do great things." - Henry Rollins

"I'm crazy, but I get the job done" - Ben Folds Five

Your paragon of virtue...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:40:21 -0400
From: "Valerie" <charzi@interlog.com>
Subject: another long radio/retail primer

Hi, Fivers.
  I see an opportunity to get the fans ready for the mainstream =
commercial activity to come. =20
  Sorry to jump on casey-girl before getting her hard copy R&R, but =
here's how things look for "Army" for the week ending 4/23 (to give you =
some idea of what the ridiculous catagories are supposed to mean, I'll =
give the #1 and #2 songs in parentheses):
  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain in a minute)
  On the "Alternative" chart, it's up from 28 to 23 (tops is Lit's "My =
Own Worst Enemy" and Fatboy Slim's "Praise You").
  Upon cursory glance, it's not yet appeared on the other charts where =
they're likely to appear: "Adult Alternative" ("Anything But Down" by =
Sheryl Crow and "Run" by Collective Soul), "CHR/Pop" (here's Sugar Ray's =
"Every Morning" and Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me") and "Hot AC" =
(topped by, uh, Sugar Ray and Sixpence as well).  I suspect the boys' =
propects will change when the real promo onslaught starts with the N. =
America CD release this week.  Oh, how did I learn these things?  From =
www.rronline.com.  Then you go to the Charts icon, and you have your =
pick of their charts for 12 different radio formats (I use the term =
"different" loosely - as you can see, the lines between some of them are =
very blurry).  Again, the Radio&Records newspaper is the trade paper for =
commercial radio stations in North America, and the charts are strictly =
airplay - no sales.  Pretty much all the Music Directors of those =
stations use this paper as a bible - "gee, should we play that?" "well, =
we will if everyone else is playing it". =20
  For those who grew up with Casey Kasem, Billboard is still kicking, =
though it cuts a wider swath of coverage, including record and video =
retail sales. It follows, then, that their charts incorporate sales =
along with airplay. Their site, www.billboard.com, now has their charts =
for the week ending May 1, but of course they can't factor in albums to =
be released in a few days (like TUBORM). There is a "modern rock tracks" =
top 20, and BFF isn't there yet (not surprisingly, Lit and Fatboy top =
that chart too). The Hot 100 (currently led by TLC and Sixpence) cuts =
across all format boundaries.  The site lists the top half of this =
chart, and BFF ain't there yet either, but they may be on the bottom =
half, which you can find in the hard copy at a bookstore or on the wall =
of your local record store.  =20
  No doubt 550/Sony sees this as the calm before the storm, or the =
pleasant moderate shower that may grow in intensity, depending how =
things go. (I predict the latter.) Indeed, I realise the music is the =
music - it is done, you enjoy "Army" as you wish, those of you with =
advance copies of TUBORM are inhabiting it personally, and really, what =
arbitrary numbers are slapped on it in a paper is not incredibly =
important.  We've had our debates here about how important or not it is =
to get the music out to as many people as possible, which may or not =
involve making money.  Those debates may continue forever.  BUT, if you =
are curious about how the hard cold world of numbers and business =
receives and processes our beloved boys (and how they're receiving and =
processing in general), these sites are nice ones to refer to.
  Arm yourself with the knowledge of the masses and you are stronger to =
move in and out of them and get them to like what you like...if that's =
what you want.
  Oh, and that CMJ piece was awesome, along with the cover.  But doncha =
think comic-book Darren looks a little tired and grumpy?
  See ya at the Toronto show Cinco de Mayo, but leave me lots of space =
in front of Robert. Rrrrowr...

Peace,
Valerie

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:35:50 EDT
From: Pazuzu23@aol.com
Subject: Re: TLA Show!!!

That little ball thingie you described sounds like a Theremin.  It's sort of
a mad-science thing from the 30's, used in a lot of horror movies.  It gets
feedback from the body's natural magnetic field, and translates it into eerie
sounds.  You never touch it to play it; it just senses your hand's position
in space and makes notes based on that. Creepy.

You can make one from kits, which are about fifty bucks, but I don't know any
other way to find one.

- -Scott

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:37:54 EDT
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Free PSU Show

Where Is PSU?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:36:37 EDT
From: Mookie9@aol.com
Subject: Tubeworm in the NW US

Hey anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area,
  I just called Tower Records on NE 102nd and they will have 5 copies of the
limited edition TUBORM + video for sale starting monday night at midnight. I
didnt try the one in beaverton but I bet they'll have some too. So, the
countdown continues!
   molly

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 17:05:20 EDT
From: SyN3RG3@aol.com
Subject: Randoms

Hey,

Just a few.. things -

Yesterday, i was poking around the CDNOW site looking for bff stuff, and i
saw that they had 2 new (?) shirts on there - a "warhol" shirt and a "blt
album cover" shirt.  Item #s were BFF111 and BFF109. On the official site i
didn't see either of these item #s. has anyone got these t-shirts? i figure
that they're just reinhold messner t-shirts, but i might be wrong.

I am looking for the underground picture single. does anyone have one they
might want to trade for? i also have a list up at my site of cd singles i'm
looking for. if you're interested in maybe setting up a trade, let me know.
also, any of the new shows - i haven't heard anything about people with
tapes. is anyone taping these shows???

regarding that babydoll tee - i got it for my birthday and was horrified to
find out that 'one size fits most' is a evil overstatement. i'm a sz 8 and
don't even think that one of my THIGHS would have fit in that thing. the
description should read "one size fits freakishly thin, anorexics, and small
children ONLY" (and i don't wanna hear from you if you have it and it fits
... or even worse .. its too big)

Only a few more days until the chicago show. i'm excited!

PAIN's coming back to the SE - see http://www.indieweb.com/pain for more
details

love,
celine
http://members.aol.com/Syn3RG3/bff.html

PS - Victoria, *I* don't hate you - e-mail me and i can try to help you out
with ordering

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:11:41 EDT
From: Pyser02@aol.com
Subject: help a fan out! URI!

Hey all-

I am going to the URI show on sunday. but i have a problem. i cant get back
from URI to Providence, RI that night, after the show.

so if anyone is going from URI towards providence, please please please email
me!

thanx

see you all there

aaron
pyser02@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:15:34 -0400
From: Patrick McDonough <mcdonpj@wfu.edu>
Subject: BFF Live Show Review Archive Setlist Feature Enabled!

Well, I worked on it all afternoon, and now if you come to our site to review a show,
all you have to do is quickly scan a list of songs and put a check next to the song
title if BFF played it the night before, and voila!  The script will generate a setlist
for the show and include it in your review!  While this should be fun to see what the
guys are playing, it should also be helpful for sharing info if you have a bootleg of a
particular show. (you can also denote that you have a tape to trade when you post a
review)

So far we have every show except for Bowdoin and the American U. show from the other
night!  If anybody who attended those shows wants to check in and do the honors, we'd
love to have your contribution!

http://mcdwebdesign.com/bff/

Thanks again-
Patrick

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:23:01 EDT
From: BenF0lds05@aol.com
Subject: army/vh1

can anyone e-mail me if they know if or when the vh1's 'before they were rock
stars' will air again? cause i had a long week and was dead asleep by 10:30
friday night.

anyway, i missed the army video on mtv, so i used my next best resource. this
thing is called "the box" people! you probably have it on your basic cable. i
phoned in at like 2 a.m. on thursday night and they played it within 30
seconds of my call. it only costs two dollars per video, and they play the
thing in its entireity. i highly recommend you all search your tvs for this
wonderful channel, for w/o it, i would not have been able to see army. you
can go to www.thebox.com to see if there is one in your zip code.

dan.

ps - the video rocks. i love the kids in the beginning, the whole scene where
they turn ben's piano into a luxary car, and when they sign the contract and
that portrait on the banner comes down.