Issue #1488 - April 27, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, April 27 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1488

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    120 Min appearance
    go frank!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1486
    University Of Rhode Island show
    just how mainstream can you get?

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:29:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Laura Elaine Gluhanich <lgluhani@umich.edu>
Subject: 120 Min appearance

BFF will be one of the guests on 120 minutes in two weeks.  which would
be...the 9th?  I know I'll be watching & taping.....

laura

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:41:14 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: go frank!

Your friend & mine, Frank Maynard, was thanked in the liner notes of the
new album.

Go Frank!!!

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:25:55 EDT
From: MFH333@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1486

i just had the most amazing time at the penn state show! anybody who went
there, please email me, i would love to chat about it!

Adriane

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:30:49 EDT
From: Slk24kgj@aol.com
Subject: University Of Rhode Island show

One word for the University of Rhode Island show.....ORGASMIC...OH MY
GOD....If anybody out there was at the show, I was the guy that screamed out
HAVA NAGILA...I was also next to the girl that gave Ben the bubble blower.  I
can't wait for my next two shows at Irving Plaza.

									-Doug
(Slk24kgj@aol.com)

And yes, I have seen a skinny 6 foot man make love to a 75 pound piece of
Turkish steel and I have also seen a 5 ft 11 inch man do a bad ass
motherfuckin bass solo!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:48:11 +0000
From: "Chris Marsh" <winkie@easynet.co.uk>
Subject: just how mainstream can you get?

TUBORM was reviewed in that esteemed publication The Sunday Times of
all places.........

"Ben Folds is a perverse man.  His "five" is in fact a piano-driven
three, which rocks like a mother none the less, and the smart,
sardonic songs he arrived with suggested a cross betweeen Jerry lee
Lewis, Billy Joel and Brett Easton Ellis, but sounded good anyway.
Refreshing though this was for a time, many of us were tempted to see
the Five as entertaining one-hit wonders.  How shameful this now
seems, for this airy , oplulent album is a remarkable leap for the
Folds sound.  The opening number, Narcolepsy, makes dramatic use of
orchestral backing to produce something that Freddie Mercury would
have been proud of.  Don't Change Your Plans and Army would fit
neatly onto side two of Abbey Road, while Regrets and others have
something of Broadway about them.  Alll are first-rate compositions,
deftly arranged, to a grand scale.  A most unexpected triumph."

unexpected?  not to us, mate!

C.
___

"There are no rules here, only piles of mistakes
 That we swear we'll learn from, then we just go ahead and make"
Dog's Eye View "What I Know Now"

winkie@easynet.co.uk