Issue #1491 - April 29, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, April 29 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1491

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

    toronto show .... please!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1487
    [none]
    Tufts show and newspaper appearance
    Little Darren on back cover of TUBORM?
    Ben Folds Does it again
    Chicago Show!!!
    Quick Comment
    my feelings about tuborm
    Letterman
    fluid ounces (and stuff)
    oh HELL YEAH!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1490
    RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1490
    Reinhold is my friend
    REAL SERIOUS BUSINESS  (uce)
    tuborm
    BFF contest, link exchange
    TUBORM - wooo-hoooo!

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:00:43 EDT
From: DeepRest00@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1487

Well yeah, I got TUBORM, yeah, I loved it, but no, I'm not gonna write a
review. I know youre gonna hear about 75 of them in these next few MA's. So
this is all I'm gonna say: My favorite song on this album (so far) is Army

Amanda K

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:17:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Scott Clarke <mango_genius@rocketmail.com>
Subject: toronto show .... please!

AHHHHH tickets sold out today for the toronto show.
I was just able to buy tickets and now... ahhh...
I've seen them the 3 times in toronto now, and well i
need the streak to be continued..

If ANYONE (or if you know anyone who) has extra
tickets for this show that would be amazing!!

Let me know the cost and I will gladly take them off
your hands!

I'm really looking for 3, but 2 or even 1 would be
great as well.  Let me know privately.. thanks

Scott Clarke
mango_genius@rocketmail.com

ps.  I'm not sure about the new cd... i think it
needs a few more listens, definately not as "fun" as
the past 3...

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:51:52 PDT
From: "michael murphy" <murphy_m@excite.com>

Picked up the new albumn today.  I haven't really listened that closely, but
I'm pretty disappointed.  I don't think this is anywhere near as good as
their others.  What does everyone else think?

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:32:36 -0700
From: finejade@juno.com
Subject: [none]

for those in the chicagoland area, i went to crow's nest today in
downtown chicago and i noticed that they have at least 10 of the TUBORM
cd and video packages there. they probly have more, who knows?

come near me and i'll bite u
the jade has spoken
gekleng

- ---
AOL IM -- FineJade12
ICQ -- 14714103
http://cube.icestorm.net/finejade

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:44:03 EDT
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: Tufts show and newspaper appearance

i know the 'chair is probably clogged with post about TUBORM.  i love it.
done.  next.
1.  is anyone from the list going to the tufts show on may 1st?  it is my
first concert.  if you are on the MA and going to tufts this saturday, MAIL
ME so we can chat a bit.  also, is anyone recording it?
2.  April 23...the Boston Phoenix arts section...front page picture and
article with picture.

Paul
paul1681@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:46:53 -0400
From: Mandel Ilagan <ilagan@fas.harvard.edu>
Subject: Little Darren on back cover of TUBORM?

I noticed in the liner notes that the cover photos were courtesy of the
Jessee family archive.  Knowing that, doesn't the boy on the back cover
look a helluva lot like a younger Darren?  I mean, does anybody know if
that is indeed Darren as a young boy on the back cover?

Mandel Ilagan
ilagan@fas.harvard.edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~ilagan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:49:10 EDT
From: SouperDv@aol.com
Subject: Ben Folds Does it again

Ohhh damn this album rules!  I was not one of the folk that was frusterated
at not hearing the same piano rock as the other albums.  I love the
experimental direction of the album - it reminds me of Tommy by the Who
slightly - almost a rock operah.
I would equate it with Zeppelin 3 - an experiment which was not appreciated
by the fans as much - but a closer look reveals brilliance.  My current
favorite is Mess.
WHERE ARE THE US TOUR DATES?!?! - I'm getting pissed

SUPERDAVE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:36:38 EDT
From: SarahMBK1@aol.com
Subject: Chicago Show!!!

Does ANYONE, besides my new friend Matt, have an extra ticket for the Chicago
show on May 3rd????? I'm just curious and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask
anyone.. If you do, PLEASE email me!! Thanx mucho!!!
    Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:51:38 -0400
From: Gregory <ggregory@kingston.net>
Subject: Quick Comment

Uhh....how about WOW!

This record is an incredible first listen.  I never, in a million years,
ever, thought that BFF could possibly make a record that would elicit such
a visceral response from me.  Don't get me wrong, songs like "Boxing" and
"Evaporated" are very powerful, but to maintain emotion like that for 11
songs (okay, maybe ten)....Let's just say I was totally surprised in a very
good way.  I'll post something more coherent later....

I'm off for another listen....

Scott

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:19:04 PDT
From: "Ashley Hill" <hc_mercury@hotmail.com>
Subject: my feelings about tuborm

well,  ill honestly admit its not my fav bff album.  is alright i
guess.  i like army the best.  i guess to me, tuborm just seems rather
mellow, not nearly as up beat as the other albums.  anyone else feel
the same?

the lurker-
hcmerc

"she had said, don^Òt cry
said it only hurts forever, and all we have is time"
- --tabithas secret

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:50:44 PDT
From: "B. C." <emaline3@hotmail.com>
Subject: Letterman

Ben Folds Five on the David Letterman show???
When???

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:48:29 EDT
From: SyN3RG3@aol.com
Subject: fluid ounces (and stuff)

well, um, posting seeems to have become a daily activity for moi - its called
"having too much time on your hands because your boss is in florida"

and its truly a shame
(not really)

anyway, um, chris mal, when i read your post on the MA i hopped over to
spongebath records and picked up my copy of the new old fashioned way.. i
love it! lend me your ears is my favorite.  floz sounds like a cross between
ben folds five (piano) and self (vocals).. and besides, seth timbs is hot.
everytime they come by here they play at the chukker, its 21+ so i can never
get in.. (boo on 21+ places)

as for bentent - i have found my ohsocoveted copy of the underground picture
CD. hopefully i'll get it in the mail soon.. AND CDNOW SENT ME A CONFIRMATION
EMAIL TODAY! so we actually ARE going to get the digipacks.

Mike Hirsch has a few of the new 99 shows up for trade, and was sweet enough
to send some copies my way. i'm going to be getting the URI, Penn State &
Amherst shows..

and how much are the new t-shirts?

benmania has struck (sigh) -

Celine
http://members.aol.com/SyN3RG3/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:52:17 EDT
From: KenElbow@aol.com
Subject: oh HELL YEAH!

Love the new album, can't even begin to type out all that I am thinking, but
since Mandel (ilagan@fas.harvard.edu) already did, I'll just say I'm in
complete agreement with him.  I couldn't have said it any better myself
Mandel.  I went to but the new album today, and I never thought I'd say this,
but thank God for Camelot Music!  Seriously!  I went to 2 other places
including Best Buy (when it opened no less!)  and they didn't have spare
reels.  So in one last desperate attempt, I went into the mall and they had 3
copies of it.  Bought and went straight home to watch the video.  That's all
for now.
Ken

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 01:11:19 -0400
From: "Dan Cohen" <wizard@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1490

> Date: 27 Apr 1999 16:36 EDT
> From: KLEVERING.KRISTIN@ANN-ARBOR.VA.GOV
> Subject: Liner Notes
>
> Got my copy of TUBORM at Best Buy at 10:25 this morning.  Alas, no "Spare
> Reels" were lying around.  In fact, none of the stores I called knew about
> them.
>
> But what is up with the boys thanking Geddy Lee in the liner notes?  This
> has to be one of their jokes.  Or maybe they do know Geddy Lee - maybe
> he's Robert's role model or something.  Just wondering.
>
> I've only made it to track 4 as I'm at work, but what I've heard so far is
> just lovely.  Well worth the wait.
>
> Later - Kristin
>
> ------------------------------

Went to Best Buy this evening (Tuesday April 27). I found a stack
of Messner CDs out in front by the new releases, but no video.
Hmm. So I looked around, then remembered - Best Buy has a
video section. Sure enough, in the nearly-deserted music video
section, there lay 5 copies of the video pack, priced at $19.99,
compared to $12.99 for the CD itself. So I grabbed it. The Digipac
is nicely done, although with the black background it'll ding easily.
Cripes. Anyhow, the video is interesting, to say the least. The
Recovery scene and the motorbikes are classic. I'm liking the new
album an awful lot. Come on summer tour dates!

~Dan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:34:45 -0500
From: "Don Curtis" <dcurtis@iastate.edu>

[ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:57:53 EDT
[ From: SilvrStar5@aol.com
[ Subject: new album
[
[ The album kicks ass; the band too , but I was really
[ surprised to see that
[ lots of the songs on "Reinhold.." are ballads. My guess is
[ Brick had a major
[ part to do with this...
[
[ ~allison

In response to this i have to say no.  This is because Brick was just something that erupted, from what i've read they didn't expect it to be as big as it was and actually, i'm disappointed in brick.  Don't get me wrong and don't hit me for my opinion but i find myself skipping brick and many times smoke(chords...) but this is because 1) brick was overplayed on the radio 2) i hate to base my view of what is good off everyone else 3) it's a very monotonous song.  So on that note i feel that the new album has nothing to do with brick but is just what it was headed to.  If you were actually "listening" the music you would have felt it.  The S/T was so hardcore with a few mellow songs from boxing and childress.  WEAEA, look, a mix, you have your slow: selfless, brick, smoke, cigerette, evaporated, and slight bit of missing the war.  But it was a MIX of slow and hardcore especially sftd.  and look, AIR was a f***ing shock to me.  I mean, i listened to the album as soon as it came o!
!
ut and skipped to the track to hear some hard-rockin' song and i saw a siloette.  I LOVE air but it was just a shock, so immediatly got over that hill of shock.  I saw it...i know many people did...and i love it.  The new album rocks and i almost want to say it's my favorite but i haven't played it as much.  But how can you rate them, i love em' all.  well, sorry for this, i don't want it to start a riot so if you disagree or agree send me privately.  Later

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 01:33:27 EDT
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: Reinhold is my friend

i skipped my class at noon today and went and got the new album with the video
i listened to it the whole way through before i went back and then managed to
talk
my way out of getting in trouble

the album is so good
i was told by everyone that as a hardcore fan i wouldn't like the new album
because it
wasn't like the other albums. . .okay ya psychos. . .this album is so good
i haven't stopped listening to it all day it is specacular! ! !
i'm freakin out here!

does it bother anyone else that on spare reels ben's hands don't always match
what is playing and it switches between concerts instead of just showing one?

lastly, does anyone have a collection of all the bff videos? i need to get
ahold of them, i've only seen brick and army and haven't been able to get the
others, if you have them or can make a copy i am sure we can arrange
something, e-mail me-GTIbean@aol.com

- -ben (not folds)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:12:46 +0800
From: successful_u@yahoo.com
Subject: REAL SERIOUS BUSINESS  (uce)

Would you like to be on the ground floor of a fast growth, Internet
based, Network Marketing Business backed by a 1.5 Billion-Dollar,
Debt Free, 5A-1 Dunn & Bradstreet Rated, International Company?

Would you like to make real money from the business partnership
among NETSCAPE, NCI-ORACLE, SUN MICROSYSTEMS, IBM,
WORLDCOM, and UUNET TECHNOLOGIES, that have combined
to create one of the world's largest Internet Shopping Malls with, soon
to be millions of products -- currently over 340,000 products strong?

Would you commit at least fifteen hours per week -- for at least one
year -- to build YOUR OWN BUSINESS?

Are you coachable and wanting to work with the top, most successful,
six and seven-figure annual Income earners of a future TEN
BILLION-DOLLAR COMPANY?  Do you want this type of remuneration,
and more?

Are you serious enough to invest $897, in YOUR OWN BUSINESS?

If you found the right opportunity, would you start immediately?

If you are serious, call 800-308-9395 right away.

If you wish to be removed from this advertiser's future mailings, please write
to SUCCESSFUL_U@BIGFOOT.COM with "REMOVE" in the subject line.
(The word "REMOVE" MUST be in the subject line in order for our software
to process your removal request.)  If for some reason you are unable to
contact us via e-mail, you can leave a message at 410-867-9046.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:32:14 PDT
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: tuborm

<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

magic is magic.
i think everyone will
find a song on this
album that makes them
cry. wonderful music.

<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 03:40:26 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: BFF contest, link exchange

Hey, the Shrub is running a contest in the May issue (out after May 1) to
win an autographed Brick/Fair single (all 3 guys signed it)

I'm working on the contest page now (it'll be another x-word puzzle) and i
am trying to solicit link exchanges from people with BFF pages.

If you have a BFF page and wouldn't mind putting up a link to the contest
and the interview with Ben (along with a nice Shrub button) i'd appreciate
it, and will return the favor by adding a link to YOUR page on the contest
page of the Shrub (just for may, and it will remain in the archives).

If you're interested, please email me at jbrandt@kent.edu

Thanks, and more on the contest after May 1!!!

Jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:42:11 +0000
From: "STEVEN IAN PICK" <A9610098@newi.ac.uk>
Subject: TUBORM - wooo-hoooo!

Hiya, y'all!

I suppose I always have to start my posts with that for all the
Amercians on this mailing list. After all, you get the coolest stuff,
the most fantastic bonus items and the UK just gets shit on from a
great height. Where's our bonus CD/video?! Angry letters should
start being sent to those basts at Sony pretty darn sharpish..!

Anyway, just posting my verdict on TUBORM - what can I say? It's
strange, because the first listen, I got straight into Narcolepsy (who
wouldn't?!) and the first half of the album, but had to get into the
second half with repeated plays. I think Narcolepsy is darn close to
being their best song yet. Don't Change Your Plans is just adorable
as a song - why do all the women on this mailing list cry to this
song..? I suppose inside, I'm crying when I listen... Mess is a
definite tangent on the usual BFF sound - it kinda sounds like it's
been written by Mike Nesmith from the Monkees...! Still, definitely
a grower.

Magic was slow to start, but it's become one of my favourites, and
Hospital Song is TOO SHORT!!! How can we have just one verse of
this beautiful song?! Moooooore!! Army kicks ass, no question
about that - even more so considering it recieved little-to-no airplay
in this stuck-up crappy nation known as the UK. Your Redneck
Past is also fantastic - a hit of the Fear of Pop sound in there,  but
more of a BFF personal touch. Your Most Valuable Possession -
hilarious! Who is that guy?!

Regrets is my only downer on the entire album - why the heck
does it sound exactly like Army at the start? Why is there a
Jamiroquai-style influence? Just as well the ending of the song is
absolutely fantastic - always reminds me of Pink Floyd. Jane is
another grower, and is a cracking pop tune, and Lullaby is a perfect
way to end the album. A shame it's only 40 minutes long - why so
short? Probably due to the huge amount of production, after all
there's strings on a majority of tracks, and the masterpiece known
as Narcolepsy probably took a Herculean task to complete...

You do realise if Ben Folds Five release Narcolepsy as a single,
any radio it hits would probably meltdown spectacularly. That's as
long as it does get played in the UK, moan, groan...

Steve ;)~

A9610098@newi.ac.uk
members.xoom.com/pickasso

P.S. Any UK fans know where I could get BFF merchandise here
in the UK?