Issue #1497 - May 1, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest     Saturday, May 1 1999     Volume 01 : Number 1497

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    the new album and letterman
    TUBORM songs...
    random
    Reinhold
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1494
    Re: Toronto Show
    Ben Folds and Russ Davis
    beef of varying grades
    Liner Notes
    TUBORM
    Besides Ben Folds Five, I like
    Spare Reels
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1494
    Letterman Show
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1494
    regarding letterman
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1495
    Kermie the Frog = BFF?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1494
    so what IS "plans" about????????????

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:09:52 EDT
From: PFunk156@aol.com
Subject: the new album and letterman

did any one notice the funny stuff ben did on letterman?

where he usually goes "awww shit.." he just went "boats, boats". it was weird.

and at the end he said "i thought about...your mommie.."

i loved it!! and i love the new album!!!!  every song to me is great. anyone
who doesn't think so either doesn't get it or is just lower on the
evolutionary scale.

- -Preston
PFunk156@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:09:34 -0700
From: Brian Chan <gokou@earthlink.net>
Subject: TUBORM songs...

I've noticed that everyone seems to dislike "Regrets."  I can't see why--I
felt it was one of the stand-outs on the album.  However my favorite song
from TUBORM is actually one of the B-sides, namely "Leather Jacket."  Um,
who's with me?

Brian Chan.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:33:50 -0400
From: bf5 <bf5@SURRY.NET>
Subject: random

<<as a hardcore fan i wouldn't like the new album because it wasn't like the
other albums.>>

I know that this doesn't describe you Ben, or many of us for that matter,
but people that say shit like this piss me off(not you Ben).  If you ask me,
the TRUE HARDCORE fan would love all of their albums.  The true fan sticks
with a band through the rough spots and watches them grow up musically and
mature.

By the way...I absolutely love the album and the video (spare reels), the
video is hilarious.  I love the recovery part and the "fight scene".

<<Regrets is my only downer on the entire album - why the heck does it sound
exactly like Army at the start?>>  Because the ending chords of army are the
same as the opening chords of regrets.

Also, why would anybody want another WAEA or S/t...then everybody would
complain about how it was the same rehashed stuff.  TUBORM is different and
we should be happy about that.  I think it's great that there is diversity
among BF5's albums.

<<Ben's upright piano sounds like a harpsichord>>  It's the bits of tack in
the piano.

That's all I have to say about that...

"'Narcolepsy' starts quietly enough; Ben states a simple, elegant melody on
piano, a bit of elaboration, then the shit hits the fan." -Tom Maxwell(snz)
                                                                CMJ, May '99

\ \/ /
~\/\/hitney  =o)

*i wanna be kate*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:42:02 -0400
From: Peter Romanov <romanopa@wfu.edu>
Subject: Reinhold

Just finished reviewing the cd and vid. Here's what I detected: Mess
reminds me a lot of  Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" and Magic seems like an
R.E.M. song. I can picture Stipe singing it. I was a little unsure of
narcolepsy. It seemed a bit bland BUT this was only my first listen. I
felt that way about a few Whatever songs too. I real dig Hospital Song
because I live in Winston-Salem and drive down Silas Creek Parkway
everyday and pass the hospital Ben is talking about. It's Called Forsyth
Memorial Hospital. Wonder how autobiographical that song is??? Anyone??

This video tape was a good watch. Didn't find the australian/english guy
beating the guys up very humorous or neccessary. Maybe I'll get it the
second time. By the way JODY CLARK contacted me about the Ben Folds
yearbook picture. I tried to send you an email, but it came back. so
JODY. email me again!!!

PAR
Romanopa@wfu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:41:37 EDT
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1494

In a message dated 4/29/99 7:43:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

<<
 Hey Chair People,

 I too was wondering about the reference to Geddy Lee on the liner notes, but
 what's more puzzling is "people who eat doo doo on film".   Not even sure if
 I want to hear the explanation on this one. >>

I don't know about this one, but I'm guessing it has to do with that crazy
John Water's and his film "Pink Flamingos" which I cannot sit through because
it is so gross (yay!). but anyway..I think Miss Divine eats dog shit.  John
waters rules. Go see Pecker! yay!

Love,
Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:00:38 -0400
From: kristi@idirect.com
Subject: Re: Toronto Show

Just wondering if any of you are going to the Toronto show.
I can't wait! :) Woo hoo!!

- -Kristi-

- --
Kristi@idirect.com
http://come.to/kristi
ICQ: 1871111

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:05:25 EDT
From: Slk24kgj@aol.com
Subject: Ben Folds and Russ Davis

If anyone out there is a Seattle Mariners fan like I am, tell me whether or
not Ben Folds looks just like Russ Davis of the Mariners.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:13:51 -0400
From: "Valerie" <charzi@interlog.com>
Subject: beef of varying grades

- ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BE928D.901CC080

Hi, Fivers.
  I'll make this short cuz I'm not sure if this format's straight yet.
  Here in Toronto, Kim Hughes proves again she's better as a writer
than as a radio interviewer with her piece on the boys in this week's
Now.  I found it at http://www.now.com/issues/current/Ent/music.html
  I have to go call my 12-year old neice and ask her how she'd scream
if Justin Timberlake slithered across a piano, cuz I gotta be ready if
Robert does the same here next Wednesday (specially with that
spandex-y shirt he wore on Dave).
  Oh, and it was be wicked if they tried to cover Ricky Martin's
"Livin' Ma Vida Loca"?  (That's a rhetorical question - ponder to
yourselves.)

Please cook my steak again,
Peace,
Valerie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:24:32 EDT
From: KrebStar12@aol.com
Subject: Liner Notes

"People who eat doo doo on film" refers to a John Waters film called Pink
Flamingoes, I believe.  A big fat drag queen eats a whole pile of dog crap in
one those most grotesque scenes I have ever seen captured on film.  I cannot
recall his/her name at the moment.

Hope I helped just a little bit.

Megan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:32:39 -0400
From: stp1237@home.com
Subject: TUBORM

TUBORM is, quite simply, really good.  The best song has to be Don't
Change Your Plans.  While ARMY is good.....it is nothing like any of the
other songs on the album.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:33:02 EDT
From: DeepRest00@aol.com
Subject: Besides Ben Folds Five, I like

Hmmmm, that makes me wonder. If we all like Ben Folds Five, what else do we
like?
I like
Jamiroquai (sorry if I spelled it wrong!), or any funk-techno-pop-rock i can
get my hands on. SX10 rawk, also
Chinese Food (yum yum)
Hmmmm, lets see
I like the Mod Squad

Well, i guess that's it. Please reply, with what you like!!!

Thanx
Mandy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:54:05 EDT
From: SilvrStar5@aol.com
Subject: Spare Reels

I have yet to buy the new CD...so i was wondering, does the video come
packaged with the CD, or do you have to ask for it? Also, if it comes
separate, can you get it at most of the music stores or is it hard to find?

e-mail me please :)

~allison

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:00:45 EDT
From: GTIbean@aol.com

hey!  i like regrets! even though everyone else seems to be not liking it.

just thought i'd share and stick up for such a good song.

enough out of me

- -ben

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:10:51 EDT
From: SarahMBK1@aol.com
Subject: Letterman Show

Man..... Did anyone that saw Letterman notice that there was about a million
and two commercials on BEFORE they played BFF??? Sweet Mama, I had my finger
hovering the record button, but they never put em on!!! Grrr.....
They did a EXCELLENT job and I thought Darren looked sooooo cute in that
plaid outfit!
Did anyone else notice the members of the horn section???!! At least 2 of em
were from Squirrel Nut Zippers!! I thought that was cool. I laughed too when
he said, "Thought about... your mommy!!" but no one in the audience got to
catch that one... Oh well, they were awesome, all the way!!
     Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:20:29 EDT
From: Emmalina9@aol.com

Hey Armchair Digesters-
		Through thick and thin, Ben Folds has never disappointed me.
Been a follower of the band since 95 and must I say they have grown and
really found a sense of themselves throughout the years. Starting off with a
rocken cd in 95, showing more of a polka beat and kicken ballads, morphed
into an in your face album with WAEA. Naked was just an overload of what has
happend in the past years and reflecting. I for one, was actually enthused
over Fear Of Pop. Even though it wasnt the normal Ben Folds we all dearly
love, it still showed his random beats and crazy atmosphere music. I enjoyed
listening to the "otherside" of Ben, it made me appreate him more. I was so
excited for TUBORM. New songs, and i knew, a new Ben. But it wasnt a new Ben,
it was more revised from the Selftitled Ballads. I truely fell in love with
Narcolespy, Dont Change your Plans, Magic, Army, Jane and RedNeck. Jane, you
gotta love Jane. The 70's romance music has to put a smile on your
face...just makes ya wanta rip out the wine and the cuddles to the fire:o).
I'm on my way tomorrow (Friday April 30th) to Williams College, Mass. for a
concert of Ben Folds. I have heard so many good things about it.. and im
truely excited. Lemmie just add.... SPARE REELS IS SOO GOOD!!! I am obsessed
with Ben Folds.. 45 mins of him.. is like a dream come true. I joke around by
calling it my "porn". Hey, I get my kicks out of it.. Okay.. im finished
expressing my feelings to the only people who understand me, my Ben Folds
Five Gang......

Later Fivers,

Kells (The Freaky Fiver)

Ps. Dont let people get you down about calling Ben Folds Five, Gay.... we
just have a higher standard of listening....;o)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:38:26 EDT
From: Beckyn22@aol.com
Subject: regarding letterman

come on girls, aren't ben's dimples the cutest??
- -becky

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:37:36 EDT
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1495

In a message dated 4/29/99 7:09:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

> That was the end of that evening. but if you're reading this and are
>  interested I'd like to meet you sometime for a cup of coffee or a drink and
>  have a friendly chat

It's none of my business, but did you find her?

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:39:23 EDT
From: AnchorJ@aol.com
Subject: Kermie the Frog = BFF?

Yeahhhh, I am definitely with the person who says that Kermit the Frog should
do a rendition of "Don't Change Your Plans".  It would bring back memories of
Kermie's greatest hit "The Rainbow Connection"...both beautiful ballads that
make me want to cry.  Again, this is not to say that Ben has a voice like
Kermit...definitely the opposite.  But there is so much...um, sincerity?  in
both of them and I just think it would be...sort of cute.  Let's ask Ben what
he thinks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:05:09 EDT
From: FM3Red5@aol.com

<< Hey all,

 	Quick comment on the hospital song.........is it just me or does the
 song seem to start off sounding like "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" an end
 kinda' with a pink floyd feel....could just be me. >>

I thought that the first time i heard it!!...and i forget what song but
there's a part of one song that sounds like "raining in baltimore" by the
counting crows...and whats with Army and regrets having the same piano...last
comment...i loved when he said i thought about your mommy on letterman the
other night!!!!...that was great...oh the 1st irving plaza show was great...i
loved it...it made me want to listen to the new album so bad...but i was a
little upset with the choice of old songs and lack of like ben throwing the
stool...the rockin' underground...and the like...i hope on the next tour they
get back to that stuff...

Frank

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:36:19 EDT
From: Angrydwarf@aol.com
Subject: so what IS "plans" about????????????

the following is a joke not to be taken even slightly seriously by the
thousands of adoring fans waiting to pounce on anyone who makes a "brick"
reference. Please continue with the post...........

Hey all,

	It seems to me that the song "plans" could possibly be the follow up
to brick. Now bear with me a little.....

	First, If you listen to the song from the point of view of the
abortee,fetus,child, whatever you may start to see my point.

	Beginning Verse talks about feeling like he wont be on this planet
for very long, (obviously very nervous about his mom's decision) She becomes
the reason he wants to stay. Second verse talks about sitting in "our empty
new apartment" probably  a direct reference to the womb. Things don't make
too much sense but he wants to be where his heart tells him to be.......aha,
are ya' with me so far???

	Don't Change Your PLans for me......he comes to a realization of what
has been decided and knows now he wont be "moving to L.A." but, not wanting
to be a burden he decides, "Leaves are falling back east" ........and he'll

	The next verse talks about his feeling of happiness at the time they
have together and ends with "see you on the other side."

	Next verse tells of his conflicting emotions-"all I really want to
say, is you're the reason I want to stay" but his destiny is calling and he
knows that when his time is up.....he's outta here.

If nothing before convinced you of the relation to brick....THIS WILL.....

There is a whistle as if to a dog which is obviously a "tip of the hat" to
the people on this list who thought brick was about a guy going to the vet
with his dog.....(huh?...huh?.....spooky how everything is coming together
now, isn't it??)

and obviously the last phrase......."I love you.....Gooodbye."

snif

The preceeding has just been a joke. Had it been an actual statement of fact
the message you have been reading would have been accompanied by a shriek of
horror from feminists everywhere. There is no need to flame me for having a
sense of humor albeit a sick one. We now return you to your regularly
scheduled armchair.......