Issue #1550 - May 27, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Thursday, May 27 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1550

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    List problems
    On-sale dates
    trawling
    sec6 row t seats 11 and 12 at blockbuster pavilion.
    King Cheese and naked men.
    unsubscribe
    some northern tourdates for Jump, Little Children (trust me and go see them!)
    Tape trades...
    [Magical Armchair] newbie joins the folds
    the providence show...
    Rubber Sled = Robert Sledge
    info on NY Summerstage show 6/24
    Tickets sales
    Etc.
    Re: Interesting observation....
    WOO HOO! BFF in Pittsburgh!
    my kinda town
    T-Shirts

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 21:11:23 -0400 (EWT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: List problems

A configuration error, apparently, caused the trashing of messages posted
to the Armchair between 8:00 PM EDT Sunday, May 23 and 10L00 AM EDT
Tuesday, May 25. If you posted in that time period, please repost.

 -fjm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 21:13:53 -0400 (EWT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: On-sale dates

On-sale dates for the last few shows:

June 6: Tempe, AZ - Club Rio - now on sale
June 19: Pittsburgh, PA - I.C. Light Amphitheatre - on sale May 29
June 22: Worcester, MA - The Palladium - on sale May 28
June 23: Providence, RI - Lupo's - on sale May 26
June 24: New York, NY - Central Park Summerstage - on sale May 26.

The tour ends June 24.

 -fjm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: charzi@canada.com
Subject: trawling

Hi, Fivers.
  Not long ago, someone noted a BFF piece in the latest edition of the fabulous music magazine that happens to be published by a couple old friends of mine, Chart.  While that nice little interview (and dead cute promo photo)is only available on hard copy at the moment, a review of the Guvernment show in Toronto (with photos including one of John doing the DCYP bridge!) has finally stopped 404'ing on the mag's marvelous website.  The link to the review is www.chartattack.com/road/reviews/1999/19990525-bf5.html , but I recommend you peruse the site in general anyway cuz it's pretty swell (including info on ordering back issues to keep in mind.
  I do not feel so compelled to shamelessly plug the Muchmusic website, but I will anyway because it has a transcript of the BFF talk in the "environment" the day after said show.  As I feared, the VJ they got saddled with was Rick the Temp, who is Canada's version of Jesse Camp in job origin (he won a contest and hung around) and intellect (uh, draw your own picture).  They must've known they were getting him, because they did maybe their finest and most relentless chain-pulling ever.  The geniouses at the site haven't specified which of our boys was saying what, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless.  Besides, you can have tons'o'fun guessing who offered up which wacky load of fishing BS! So head to the BFF link at www.muchmusic.com/transcripts/
  And thanks to the folks who offered up the Ben/Frally wedding photo and article.  Hope indeed springs eternal.

Peace,
Valerie

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:40:53 EDT
From: Pianogtar@aol.com
Subject: sec6 row t seats 11 and 12 at blockbuster pavilion.

That is where my seats are so now you can meet me or assassinate me, You
choose on friday.  Anyways I didn't get armchair posts #1547-1548 so if
anyone out there could forward these to me I would appreciate it.

George

i Love Kosovo.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:05:21 EDT
From: FieryLox@aol.com
Subject: King Cheese and naked men.

michael bluejay used to be quite a regular poster on the MA.  he had one of
the more intriguing websites out there...i think he signed off around this
time last year with a long and detailed rant about why he was leaving.  now,
you might think you know a vegetarian...but let me tell you...michael IS that
vegetarian.  and he has a really cool tattoo.

has anyone heard "emaline" on this leg of the ben folds five tour?

i love doug.
qb.
sara j. miller (not a vegetarian...but i don't eat red meat!  or seafood
either, dammit!)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:16:17 EDT
From: DHouse2878@aol.com

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:22:16 EDT
From: FieryLox@aol.com
Subject: some northern tourdates for Jump, Little Children (trust me and go see them!)

this is for ya'll who CAN make it to these shows.  i will be in either
atlanta, ga, or des moines, ia.  so...if you go, tell 'em sara sent you.  :)

by the way, these dates are for Jump, Little Children, not any other band.
(aka, ben folds five)

Wednesday
6/2/99
The Mercury Lounge
New York, NY
Doors 8pm / Show 8:30pm
$8
18+

Thursday
6/3/99
The Pontiac Grill
Philadelphia, PA
Show 9pm / Onstage 10pm
$7
w/ Emmet Swimming
21+

the june 2 date is also the cello player's birthday and the place that one of
their dearest friends, mr. michael bellar lives, so if you go, expect a
raucous show!

qb.
sarax

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:41:32 EDT
From: PhisherXC@aol.com
Subject: Tape trades...

I am looking to get a hold of some recent BFF tapes, Iactually don't have any
from this past year and would very much like to obtain some...I have an
extensive list of other tape if anyone wants to check it out...
E-mail me back if you are interested and can help.
Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Ms. Messner" <cooling47@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Magical Armchair] newbie joins the folds

Hi all!
Just wanted to introduce myself as Paige, which also
happens to be my real name.
I'm very much enjoying the new album and look forward
to getting to know everyone and sharing this great
music!

p=

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 00:33:58 -0500
From: "Matty Jacobs" <mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: the providence show...

okay, here is the deal.  I would really like to go the providence show but,
alas, I am in NY and I have no car.  Train is very expensive and I cannot
afford it.  Is there anyone from NY who is planning on making this trip on
June 23rd?  If so, I am looking for a ride and I would appreciate it if you
could help me out.  Of course, you will be recompensated for gas money, etc.
and I will come to you in the NY area. Thanks for any help anyone can
provide.

Matty J

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
matty j.
mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu
AIM- Lifeisski
ICQ# 25174853

If you want to be happy, be.
 Leo Tolstoy

It's your life and you can decorate it as you like.
Ben Folds (Five)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:51:09 -0800
From: "Jer Davis" <uselink@fcmail.com>
Subject: Rubber Sled = Robert Sledge

Ben does indeed scream "Robert Sledge" the whole time. In fact at one point he says "Robert Sledge on the bass guitar!" It also reminds me of the end of SFTD on Spare Reels.

Anyways that's my story,
         Jer: The man who put BFF stickers on his discman.

"Hello, anytime you mention James Earl Jones in a song,that means it's going to have to be good.  I mean, the man was the voice of Darth Vader"
- --Sarah (Newly crowned Queen of the long, meandering posts)

Sent by FortuneCity Mail at http://www.fortunecity.com

Join now and receive 20Mb of free web space and E-mail

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:30:26 -0500
From: "Matty Jacobs" <mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: info on NY Summerstage show 6/24

I just called the summerstage people and they told me that tickets go on
sale this friday thru ticketmaster or at the Hammerstein.  He didn't mention
how much it is but it will probably be 20-25 bucks.  Oh, he also neglected
to mention the time but I do know it is in the evening.  So I hope to see
everyone who's in NY there!
have a nice day...

Matty J

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:47:51 PDT
From: "Anne-Julie Thibault" <thibaula@hotmail.com>
Subject: Tickets sales

To the man they call Mike,  please, don't be upset or anything that way
about your situation...  At least, you'll see Ben Folds Five.  To me, it's
imposible because they won't come in Montreal.  In fact, they've never went.
  So be happy and have a nice concert!

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:59:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Josh Kadrmas <jokadrma@plains.NoDak.edu>
Subject: Etc.

Hello all

I was just wondering, does anyone know if the group plans a swing in the
midwest anytime?  I see that they have a lull in their schedule after the
Central Park show ... which would be nice to go to but living way out in
North Dakota with a fulltime job a guy can only dream.

Also, TUBORM ... wow.

I am of the opinion that, inclusive of everything ... this is got to be
one of the best bands I have ever heard.  "Underground" has got to be the
coolest live songs I have ever heard ... but "Boxing" is probably one of
the best pound-for-pound songs I have ever heard ... period.  I had a
chance to see the group at Edgefest last year ... again, excluding the
remarks of one of the MC's ... I hope the group plans to return to the
Cities at least.

Also ... is there anyone out there with boots NOT for trade only?  It's
hard for someone like me who has access to very little shows to have
anything to trade and the only access i have to them is to buy out the one
or two that become available a year at the local disc-go-round (paying a
hefty $20 a pop for an 8 track CD).  But I do it ...

More to come ... have a good day!

Josh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 14:15:01 -0500
From: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject: Re: Interesting observation....

>Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:56:43 -0400
>From: rberman@Bowdoin.EDU (Rachel E. Berman)
>Subject: Interesting observation....
>
>Hey guys!
>I don't know if this has been covered before or if Ben has commented on it
>or whatever.. but I made an interesting observation... Has anyone ever
>picked up on the fact that in Fear of Pop, when Ben screams "Rubber SLED!"
>it sounds a hell of a lot like he's yelling, "Robert SLEDGE!"? Seriously...
>listen to it again and you'll hear exactly what I mean. My guess is this is
>an unconscious attempt to pay tribute to his basist.. or maybe just simply
>to make fun of the boppers that scream his name at some of the concerts? I
>dunno.... pretty creepy though. See you guys (some of you!) at upcoming
>shows in the northeast! Wahoooo!
>Lata.
>Rachel

Yeah.  Totally.  It's like one of the first things that I thought of when I
heard FOP VOL I.  I don't really know if this was intentional.  In any
event, he'll always be saying Robert Sledge in my book.

Now, what were you saying about the teeny boopers?  They all yell at Robert
on stage?

- --
Christopher Schulte
WEB: http://www.schulte.org/
EMAIL: christopher@schulte.org
FAX: (209) 391.9867

"I am the truth from which you run (and I control you)"
- --Trent Reznor, Nine Inch Nails HALO 8

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:47:48 EDT
From: SmilesGLH@aol.com
Subject: WOO HOO! BFF in Pittsburgh!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! i just found out that the boys are coming to pittsburgh
on april 19th!!!!!!!! how excited am i?!?!?!??! so is there anyone out there
that will be in attendance? it's at the IC light amphitheater if you haven't
heard. i have no clue when tickets go on sale or how much they are yet
though. last i checked on the official page was yesterday and it wasn't there
yet. email me privately if you have any info.

ecstaticly yours,
gretchen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:51:21 EDT
From: SarahMBK1@aol.com
Subject: my kinda town

does anyone else have tickets for the chicago show?!?! I am soooo psyched
that i have mine FINALLY!!!! wow, has anyone seen the new ticketmaster
tickets? i dont know about anyone else, but i like the lite green and purple
tix, but my bff tix are orange and yellow and DARK gray... reminds me of
vomit..
anywho, anyone going, lemme know!!!
     sarah

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:36:03 EDT
From: Slk24kgj@aol.com
Subject: T-Shirts

Hey all, It's good old Doug here...
	I have a great opportunity here, it turns out someone I have known
for a long time is now in the T-shirt business so he works down the street in
his house and right near my house...so if you want T-shirts, I am your man,
we can get discounts.
								Doug