Previous appearances by Ben Folds Five on Radio, TV and On-Line
Note: This page is under construction and does not reflect appearances
earlier than those listed.
previous Rolling Stone on-line sessions with Ben Folds Five or
artist information in the Rolling Stone Webcast Archive.
- July 4 - A segment from the Glastonbury Festival performance on
June 26 was featured on ABC's Independence Day Concert. Also featured
were excerpts from Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters and other bands at
Glastonbury. (From RockOnTV - the ultimate guide to music on
- July 16 - Ben Folds Five performed on NBC Television's Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
- July 24 - Ben Folds Five appeared on the syndicated public radio
program World Cafe,
which originates at WXPN in
Philadelphia and is carried by Public Radio
International. Find your nearest PRI station.
- July 25 - Australian TV appearances, as reported by Lauren Hinchey:
"Recovery", interview only (no performance) in the 11:00 AM - Noon hour,
and "Hey Hey It's Saturday", 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM, performing "Brick"; also,
possibly, "The Drum" on Channel V next week.
- July 25 - Rerun of Saturday Night
Live starring Samuel L. Jackson, with Ben Folds Five as the musical
- August 1 - Rerun of Sessions
at West 54th featuring Ben Folds Five and Beck, from 1997, on PBS stations (check local station for exact
day and time).
- August, various dates - Brick
is "popped" on the cable
network VH1's Pop-Up Video.
It's Episode 91, called "Social Issues", and will feature Brick
first, followed by videos by Stevie Wonder/Babyface, Suzanne Vega, Aerosmith
and Rod Stewart. For the next several days, repeats are scheduled at
August 4 - 4:30 PM;
August 4 (early morning Aug. 5)- 2:30 AM;
August 6 - 10:00 AM;
August 9 - 1:00 PM;
August 10 - 7:30 PM (all times Eastern). For a complete list of show
dates by episode, check the show's Air Dates
- August 7 - VH1 presents Hard Rock Live, with Ben Folds Five
(taped June 12) and Squeeze. 7 PM Eastern. Repeat August 8 at midnight
Eastern (early morning of August 9); Monday, Aug. 10 at 1:00 AM Eastern
(early morning of Aug. 11); and Thursday, Aug. 13 at midnight Eastern
(early morning of Aug. 14).
August 19, 11:00 PM Eastern -
FANatic show went and snagged Daniel Davis to go and interview Ben
Folds Five, which he did prior to the Conan O'Brien appearance. The
result is seen on "FANatic" Wednesday, Aug. 19.
- Sat. Sept. 5 - MTV presents Video Music Awards FANatic
Retrospective featuring FANatic segments on VMA nominees, including
Ben Folds Five. 2:00 PM Eastern.
- Oct. 24 - ABC Television (US) features Ben Folds Five and other
bands from the Glastonbury festival in the UK on its Hallowe'en special.
BFF performed "Air", the opening song from their June 27th set.
Check local listings for time and station.
- Nov. 18 - TNT cable repeats "Burt Bacharach: One Amazing Night"
featuring Ben Folds Five performing "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head."
TNT will also air the program on December 25.
- Dec. 8 - PBS will air "Burt Bacharach: One Amazing Night" (see
Nov. 18 item)
- January 17 - Fear of Pop (Ben and William Shatner, anyway) will be
featured on the Piano Lounge segment of CBC Radio 2's "RadioSonic",
between 6:30 and 8:00 PM (in all time zones, but one hour later in
Atlantic Canada and 1 1/2 hours later in Newfoundland).
- January 20 - Saturday Night Live, which featured Ben Folds
Five performing "Brick" and originally aired Jan. 10, 1998, will be shown
on the cable network Comedy Central at 6:00 PM Eastern time.
Thanks to RockOnTV
- January 22 - Ben Folds will appear with William Shatner on "Late
Night with Conan O'Brien" on the NBC Television Network Friday night,
January 22 (early Saturday morning, Jan. 23 in most areas - as always,
check local listings).
- Wednesday, April 28 - BFF appear on The Late Show with
David Letterman, which usually airs at 11:35PM Eastern on CBS stations
(as always, check local listings). Thanks Justin
- Monday, May 3: The Chicago show at Park West will be webcast live by
Rolling Stone. Tune in on the
- Thursday, May 6: Interview with the band on MuchUSA's "Video Flow".
3:30 PM and 7:30 PM Eastern. Also 10:00 AM Friday, May 7.
- Friday, May 7 - The band is profiled on the VH1 program "Before
They Were Rock Stars", a look at the performers before they became
stars, with old footage and video. 10:00PM Eastern. (Repeats at 12:30PM
Saturday, May 8 and 8:30PM Sunday, May 9) Thanks to RockOnTV
- Sunday, May 9: Ben Folds Five are hosts of MTV's "120 Minutes" new
music program. Midnight EDT (early morning hours of Monday, May 10)
- Monday, June 7: The online audio service Just The Music features a mix tape and
interview with the band. Online starting June 7 for one week. (Requires
- Monday, June 7: Ben Folds appears on Politically
Incorrect on ABC-TV (US) stations. Usually 12:05AM Eastern (early
Tuesday morning) but time subject to change; check local listings.
The Politically Incorrect
Poll has several Ben Folds-related questions.
- Tuesday, June 8: The band is the musical guest on The
Tonight Show with Jay Leno on NBC-TV. 11:35PM Eastern (check
- Friday, June 11: The band appears on Later with Jools
Holland on BBC America. 11:00
PM Eastern. (Note: BBC America is available on DirecTV, Dish Network and
Primestar satellite TV services, and on some cable systems including TCI
and Cox.) Thanks to RockOnTV
- Saturday, October 2 - CBC Radio
Two's RadioSonic programme
featured the May 5th show at Government Hall in Toronto, recorded by the
CBC for broadcast. If you are outside the CBC's signal coverage
area, RadioSonic's website
carries the show in RealAudio.
- November 19 - Appearance on "World Cafe", produced
by public radio station WXPN in Philadelphia and carried by many Public Radio International stations. The
show was taped October 21 during the band's swing through Philadelphia.
Interviewer David Dye talked with the band during the sound check at the
- July 19: Appearance on "The
Late Show with David Letterman" on CBS
television (11:35PM Eastern in most markets). The band will perform
"Barrytown", the Steely Dan cover song that is on the soundtrack of the
upcoming Jim Carrey movie "Me, Myself and Irene".
- July 24: Headlining a Digital Club Network Festival
show. Cat's Cradle in Carrboro (Chapel Hill), N.C.
Back to the main page.