Interviews and Reviews of Ben Folds Five
Read reviews of:
The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold
for Summer, a benefit compilation which features "Where's Summer B" as
its leadoff track, is the subject of an article in Sonicnet, the online
music news web-zine.
about the Fall 1999 German tour, by Alan Maimon, in the Raleigh (N.C.) News and Observer.
review of the Indiana University show October 19, 1999, in the Indiana Daily Student newspaper.
- Review of
Pontiac, Michigan show October 17, 1999, in the State News, the daily newspaper of
Michigan State University, by Dan
- Article about the
band in the October 1999 issue of Smug Magazine, a
ska/punk/metal/hiphop-flavored music magazine from New York.
- Interview with Ben and article on the band in the September 1999
issue of Keyboard magazine.
- Interview with Darren Jessee, by David John Farinella, in the
September 1999 issue of Modern
- Interview with Ben Folds, by Paul Zollo, in The Oxford
American, Southern Music Issue #2 (Double Issue #21-22, issued July
1998). The issue includes a bound-in CD containing 19 tracks including
"Tom & Mary" as well as a new song by R.E.M. and a wide range of southern
music from Rosemary Clooney to Vic Chesnutt. The Oxford American does not
have a website but you can send them e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call
800-269-6926 for subscription information.
with Robert Sledge in the June 1998 issue of Bass Player magazine.
- Review of "Ben Folds Five" in The Music Critic, a little late
but very positive nonetheless.
- Article by James K. Cribb in Amplifier Magazine, Vol 3, #1,
April 1998. Read an excerpt on the magazine's website.
- National Public Radio's "Fresh
Air", Thursday, April 9, 1998, available via RealAudio.
Ben Folds Five is the cover story on the March 1998 issue of CMJ New Music Magazine. The magazine
comes with a CD which contains a previously-unreleased live recording of
- Article in Rolling Stone, March 5, 1998
- Articles from the Raleigh, N.C. News and Observer:
Live, a review of the band's January 10, 1998 appearance on Saturday
Night Live, by David Menconi (Jan. 12, 1998)
the Scene, exploring how Ben Folds Five and the Squirrel Nut Zippers
have become the two most popular Triangle-area bands, by David Menconi
(Apr. 27, 1997)
- Article on Ben Folds Five written by Scott Hess of Chicago's
JamTV, with photos and Real Audio clips from the TV interview
- Wall of Sound article on Naked Baby
Photos and "Brick", Jan. 8, 1998
- Another Wall of Sound article on The Late
Show appearance and Ben's remarks on having to collapse "Brick" to
meet the show's time constraints
Story and interview with Ben Folds Five from 9X, published by
Plan 9 Music, a
Virginia regional music store chain
- Interview with Ben Folds Five in Not For Hire 'Zine, issue
#5, which is available for $1.01 to cover postage from
Not For Hire
5737 Kanan Rd., #288
Agoura Hills, CA
- Interview with Ben Folds on Radiosonic, CBC Radio Two (formerly
CBC Stereo), Saturday, Sept. 6, 1997. At their site, listen to a
RealAudio recording of the interview.
Piano Man, article by Eric Broome in Mean Street Magazine,
- Review of "Whatever and Ever Amen" by Gavin McNett in Sharps
and Flats, an online section of Salon Magazine sponsored by Borders
Books and Music.
- Ben Folds interview from The
Onion's AV Club, the Internet's entertainment guide
- Interview with
Darren Jessee by Dave Holloway in Personality Crisis (UK)
Folds Five article by John Chumbris in Music Monitor, a
weblication of The Record Exchange, a group of record stores in North
Carolina and Virginia.
- Article in The Winston-Salem
Journal, August 9, 1996
- Benjy Portnoy's interview
in Night Times
Magazine, July 1996.
- Will Jones' article in RASP!, the UK's
national student magazine, May 30, 1996
- Michael Gribble's article in the YoPage of the Gaston
Gazette, Gastonia, N.C., September 1996
- Article in Q Magazine, July 1996
- Articles in the Sydney Morning Herald Tempo Section, June 28, 1996:
Review of Fear of Pop Volume 1 by Daniel Aloi, December 7, 1998
- Review of
Naked Baby Photos by Bob Gajarsky, January 20, 1998
by Lang Whitaker on Ben Folds Five, from the October 29, 1997 issue,
with the band's impressions of the 1997 Australia tour
- Whatever and Ever Amen Review, April
- Interview with Chapel Hill's The Gladhands,
April 21, 1997. BFF bassist Robert Sledge is a former roommate of Gladhands
guitar/vocalist Jeff Carlson and plays on six tracks from the new
- Ben Folds Interview, July 25, 1996
Truth About Cats & Dogs", May 29, 1996
- Also check out Consumable's main page for current and
back issues and information on how to subscribe via e-mail.
- Article in Drum Media, the Australian
music magazine, from June 11, 1996
- AJ Metz
interview from the Madison Badger Herald
Scene Magazine article, Feb. 29, 1996
- Minneapolis review, Jan. 31, 1996
Turntable online magazine article, February 1996
- Buzzard Bone article, January 1996
- Ears 2 U presents Dave Tolar's Top 10 of
1995. "Ben Folds Five" is #2.
- Chicago Tribune article, Jan. 30, 1996
- NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday
interview, Jan. 28, 1996
- eye WEEKLY, Toronto's arts
newspaper, Jan. 4, 1996
- Macintosh New
York Music Festival
- CMJ Magazine, September 1995
- Pulse Magazine, September 1995
Maintained by Frank
Maynard. Please e-mail me if you encounter any failed links or would
like to suggest a new listing.
Back to the Main Page.